Neutering and Spaying

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoeelizabeth1

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new here, so excuse me. :D

I have a male rabbit (English self-black) and I am looking to get him a female friend. I'm not stupid and know he needs to be neutered first.
I phoned around and the cheapest I could find was £40 for a male rabbit to be fixed.
However, females are more expensive, the cheapest I could find was £49.07.
Does the female also have to be spayed to be housed with my male or is it okay for just him to be fixed?

Also, I have 2 lionhead bunnies (10 weeks old :bunny24) from the same litter and currently living together.
Will they start to fight in a few months and do I need to have them spayed as well?

Thank you for any one that can help.

... Pay £12 for a rabbit and pay hundreds to care for them. :yuck

If you're not going to breed your female I would suggest you get her spayed at 5-6 months of age it lowers the risk of cancer and less chance of her mood swings becoming a learned behaviour (which can be common in females although not all will become cranky nasty bunnies)
It is possible that the two already bonded will fight when they reach puberty if they are both boys I would say get them done early before any fights and take them in together so there is less risk of breaking their bond

Neutering the male does prevent breeding and him from being hormonal, but does nothing to stop the female from being hormonal. Some girls can be pretty bad and is can be a big issue with bonding. It is best if both are neutered. Intact females can have false pregnancies and have a higher risk of reproductive cancer.

As for the younger ones, again you have the issue of hormones. Same sex pairs don't have the worry of getting pregnant (assuming they are sexed correctly), but can still fight and have other issues. It is best if both get neutered.

Agree with the above posters. For the best chance at bonding, both the male and female need to be done. Unspayed females can have false pregnancies which I imagine plays with hormones and would make her likely to be defensive toward the male. It's simply easier and generally a more stable bond if both are done. That being said, not all bunnies will get along even if they are spayed/neutered, so you need to be prepared for that outcome too.

As for the younger too, if they're both females and you're incredibly 1 in a million lucky, they might continue to get along as they grow up. However, it's most likely that they won't and you will probably start to see signs of hormonal behaviour from 12-14 weeks at which point you need to watch them carefully in case they fight (if they're both males, there will absolutely be fights) and you need to separate them before they start fighting. Again, if you wish to bond them, desexing is highly recommended.

Latest posts

Back