Metacam , ear drops for mites, and zithromax script

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuvMyRabbits

Reaction score
Couple of questions.. ( nothing new with me :biggrin2:)

1st I have an almost full bottle of metacam that came with Spirit after her spay..I also used it on Shadow after his neuter but there is stall a lot left...how long can I keep it for before its no longer good?? I cant go by its smell because it already stinks :shock:I looked for a expiration date and found 3/11 but thats like almost 2yrs!! would it stay good that long?? It does not need to be refridgerated correct??

2nd I also have 1/2 a bottle of ear drops that were given to Shadow on his first vet visit for ear mites..Its called Tresaderm and the bottle says Dermatologic Solution..I cant see the expiration date on this bottle because Spirit chewed it off..silly girl!! Its almost a full bottle as well...it has no cap to it though because I lost it but I keep it up high away from them so they cant get into it ( learned that after she chewed the sticker off this bottle )

3rd My buns are both on zithromax due to a URI they both have..Last time I got it I only had one script for them it was for a weeks course..When I went to the vet she said to now put them on a 3week course of 1ml a day ...she gave me 2 scripts for zithromax with 1 refill on each of them so 4 bottles of zithromax total. When I got this script filled there was way more in the bottle than the last time I got it ( the first bottle was $23.00 this one was $40 ) So giving them 1ml a day for 21 days would only use up 2 of the bottles because they are over 1/2 filled ( it would actually be a total of 20 days and not 21 because of the 10 day thing and I really wouldnt want to pay $40 more just for that one last day )...So that would leave me with 2 unfilled zithromax scripts at riteaid ( I only filled one at a time since after its mixed it only stays good for 10 days and they are both on the same med and amount..I'm getting the next one filled after this bottle is no longer good ) So my question here is can I leave the scripts at the pharmacy until ( god forbid ) I need them again?? Does anyone know if scripts for animals are the same as for humans?? I know they will hold my script for me until I need it refilled but not sure if they do that with animals. Anyone had a situation like this before as far as how the pharmacy deals with animal scripts?? ( I tried to call up there and ask but they kept me on hold for like 20 minutes so I just hung up )...I just re read this section and it sounds very confusing and for that I apologize..hopefully not to confusing though =)

1-, you can use it for up to six months after it has been opened- or at least, that's what mine say in their instruction manual.

I don't know about the other, sorry.

I'm afraid I don't know either, but as it's med-related, I'll move this to the Infirmary for you where it might be more likely to pick up some more answers! :)

If the prescriptionis under your name at a pharmacy the drug is dealt with the same way a human drug is dispensed
The metacam is fine; keeps a long time unrefrigerated

i would thing the tresaderm is also fine unless the bottle is very old

A year is probably too long to keep them all, but that's just a guess. I know a lot of drugs expire around a year after dispensing.

Just happened to "pop in" to see how things were going and read this thread. Metacam is good until the expiration date...and we have used it past the date. The script for Zithormax, as mentioned, is handled the same as a human drug.

The Tresaderm question lacks one work...refrigeration. This drug requires refrigeration at all times. If it has been out of the fridge for any extended amount of time, it is no longer of use and should be discarded. And a word of caution in using Tresaderm...while it is an excellent medication, it also contains a steroid and might not be the best choice of drugs in all situations. Using steroids of any kind brings on some possible problems in rabbits.

Randy

Thanks =) I guess I will be throwing the Tresaderm out then because it hasnt been refridgerated at all...when the vet gave it to me he didnt even mention putting it in the fridge..and I used it in his ears for a week without putting it in there at all :expressionlessButI cant say I'm shocked he didnt mention it,he was the one whoalso said Shadow was a girl:p

Latest posts

Back