It's finally going to happen...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topaz

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone here remembers me, but I've been wanting a couple pet rabbits for a very long time (since I was little,) and it always seemed there was something to stop me (parents, money or time contraints, landlords, etc.) Often I would search petfinder and craigslist for that "special bun" and twice I found what I wanted, and each time it fell through. Many months later, that special bun found me.
I sell small pet hammocks on consignment at a local pet supply store that takes in unwanted animals and places them in homes (they don't sell anything live.) I went in to pick up some dog stuff and pick up money from the hammock sales and there was a sign in the window, "The bunnies just love it here at (store name!)" I went in and talked to the owner about it. She said a local breeder wanted to "get rid of all the non-show quality" rabbits and dumped them off there. Two lionhead mixes, a mini lop, and two 57-variety buns. The lionheads were in a giant, great-dane sized dog kennel (and they're still very young, so they had tons of room in that thing,) the two mixes are also in a giant dog kennel. The mini lop was in a small cage, barely big enough for a rat. It's an adult, and a rich chocolate color.

I walk over, pet all the buns, talk to the owner, etc. She asks if I would please take any of them, particularly the mini lop. I said no, because I have so many animals already, etc. Well, she said, "I'll hold onto him as long as you need me to, free of charge, no adoption fee, just give him a good home. I know you'll spoil him rotten." How could I resist? He came right out the door of the cage and snuggled with me. So next week I'll be bringing home my first pet bun! I'm so excited!

I have a large play pen for a cage and he'll have run of the entire kitchen when litter training has been accomplished. Depending how well the play pen works out, I may not even go the NIC route, but we'll see. After speutering we'll look into a bunny friend. I'll post pics when he gets home! :biggrin2:

That's great...you must be so excited and i'm sure you cannot wait to bring your new baby home :D

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your new little guy

Cheryl

Well, he sounds adorable, even without the pics! Since I have a penchant for lops of all kinds, and chocolate is my favorite color in a rabbit, I can't wait to see him once you do post some photos. Congrats on your new boy!! Isn't it exciting? :D

Congrats!

Living with a rabbit is a very special experience. You'll get hooked on buns in no time, like all of us!!!

Marietta

Well, things didn't go as planned.

I took some mice into the store and to pick up my bun (the mice I got from a feeder breeder, to be adopted out via the store as pets only,) and my bun was gone. The owner of the store said the bun breeder decided she wanted him, and the others back. She left two dwarf (mixes?) there because they were "too wild," and "not show qualtiy." One is all black, the other looks like an agouti, or "wild color." The owner was very upset over her taking the lop, and said I was welcome to the bonded pair of boys as well as a free bag of oxbow food for them if I wanted. Well, while we sorted through the 12 mice, to separate for genders and taking possibly pregger females back with us, we decided to do a "trial" with the two dwarfs. I'm far from a fan of dwarf buns, but these guys were really in need of a petient and understanding home. I have no experience on untamed and fearful rabbits, but I'm taking it very slow with them.

We let them stay in the pen cage all day until right before we went to bed, we thought we'd let them hop around the kitchen for a few and try to get to know them. They are very scared of us, but seem to be quick to pick up that we're not here to hurt them. They've already decided that the flannel bed is for peeing and the litter box is for sleeping. I'm reading up on how to litter box train them, as they spent their whole lives in an outdoor hutch.

We checked last night and they're both males. Today I'm calling the vet to get a price quote on their neuter. I know it cost $180 for getting a rat spayed, so I'm wondering if it'll be about the same or more for a bun neuter. We'll see. I'll try to get pics tonight.

Be prepared, as I'll probably be asking tons of questions soon!

Topaz wrote:
They've already decided that the flannel bed is for peeing and the litter box is for sleeping.

:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:Typical bunattitude!!!

It's good you took them though, and, you never know, maybe living with dwarfs will make you change your opinion. They do have a temperament -usually- but they're also very interesting characters to watch and live with.

Marietta

any news on the bunny neuter price quote? i'm in madison and i'm wondering what they charge for a neuter around here. Thanks!!

Yes, it'll be about $180 for each neuter. I plan to get it done next month.

The buns are still getting used to us. Marlowe (the agouti,) is fine and dandy getting petted but still won't hop up on my lap. Jasper (the black guy,) is scared to death of us.

Some good news though, we accomplished litter trainning! Well, for the most part...

We tried aspen then soft sorbant litter, and they only laid in it and slept on the flannel bed. I switch litters to newspaper with hay and now they only pee in that, but I still have to pick up poops from around the cage and their bed once a day. So far, they ahve yet to pee outside of the cage. :biggrin2:

I am very happy that you have finally found bunnies. I am also so happy that you could take on two needy rabbits, as well.

Hope all is great with you and the ratties, too :).

I'm now wondering if these guys are "polish" instead of dwarfs. But, being new to this, I'll just rely on your guys' advice.

Marlowe:
buns002.jpg

Jasper:
buns003.jpg

I have taken many more pics, but have yet to upload them to photobucket.

Aren't they adorable??

Latest posts

Back