Waxy Ears

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bangbang

Reaction score
I was looking in bangbangs ears today and there is a resonable amount of yellow wax... should I clean them or take her to the vet? I tend to over react....

You should get them cleaned out at your next vet visit. All of that wax can be very itchy. Wesley gets lots of wax buildup and when it's really built up, you need a professional to go down there and get it all out (you don't want to damage anything). They can then show you how to use a solution to maintain the ears from there.

Good luck, Bangbang!

Drizzle had very bad waxy build up that caused an outer ear infection. He got it all removed by the vet (he used some kind of ear washing thing).

I'd just keep an eye on it and make sure you let the vet know on your next visit to clean it out. Just don't try to do it yourself, as with a q-tip you could accidently puncture in the inner ear.

Hope that helps! :)

Bo- Yes, lops are more prone to waxy build up and ear infections in general. Just like dogs with floppy ears, the ear canal just doesn't get a chance to dry out. Some rabbits are also more prone to it than others. I don't tend to have ear problems in my Fuzzy Lops, butus breeders select for wide ears, even though they lop.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Are lops more prone to this? I've never noticed Bo having wax......

Thanks! That's interesting and something to consider when showing rabbits. My daughter really wants an English Lop.

Ooh, English Lops are amazing, but they do have their own set of problems due to those gorgeous ears. I am sure it is something you'd have no problem dealing with, though.

Once we have the room (a nice barn) for outdoor bunnies, we'll do something. We want to move but with the housing market so bad we're waiting. If we don't do something in the next year or so, I'm getting a little barn and making a bunny house. :biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back