Rabbit of the Month is WIKI, photo by lilnaugrim
Rabbits Online > FORUM BUSINESS > RabbitsOnline Announcements & Support > New threads by spammers

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:11 PM   #1
Angie
Administrator
RABBIT_ADMIN.png

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default New threads by spammers

I just want to let you know that watermelons and JBun have made sure I know of the recent overflow of spammers messing up the forum.

I have taken automatic approval off for new registering members, so I will have to check each new registrant for awhile until I see the spammers virtually stop registering here.

Thanks for letting everyone know. Seems as if spammers could get a life.
(Maybe they need a bunny to love.)

Old 10-30-2017, 07:37 PM   #2
Blue eyes
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 699 Times on 526 Posts
Likes Given: 904

Thanks for being willing to do the extra work this will put upon you. It is appreciated!

("Get a life" was just what I was thinking when seeing the plethora of spamming.)

Old 10-30-2017, 11:14 PM   #3
Nancy McClelland
Larry
RABBIT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 772 Times on 645 Posts
Likes Given: 1272

In a perfect world, their computer would freeze up. Thanks for blocking them out--just wish it didn't have to come to that.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:26 AM   #4
Whiterabbitrage
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 227 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Oh thank you for taking care of that. Those spam messages were irritating. Who spams a rabbit forum anyway?!

Old 10-31-2017, 07:46 AM   #5
MrB
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Dealing with SPAM

On large forums, they typically deal with spammers by delegating some of the admin functions to members (i.e. ability to delete / hide threads/posts)

They also incorporate a spam / hearing link on every thread started and on each post, which makes it very easy for people to notify the admin of offending threads / posts quickly

If someone flags a thread/post as spam, those administrators get notified and the thread/post can quickly be removed

Over time, as people (re: spammers) learn that spamming to these forums is a waste of time because their posts get taken down quickly, they eventually give up

Old 10-31-2017, 10:46 AM   #6
lilnaugrim

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrB View Post
On large forums, they typically deal with spammers by delegating some of the admin functions to members (i.e. ability to delete / hide threads/posts)

They also incorporate a spam / hearing link on every thread started and on each post, which makes it very easy for people to notify the admin of offending threads / posts quickly

If someone flags a thread/post as spam, those administrators get notified and the thread/post can quickly be removed

Over time, as people (re: spammers) learn that spamming to these forums is a waste of time because their posts get taken down quickly, they eventually give up
This is what we have on the forum that I moderate. Someone reports the post as Spam and we all get notified. Whomever gets there first get's to take down the spam and ban the user/IP address. This usually happens very quickly ^_^

I was using the report feature here a week or so ago when all that spam popped up, just so that someone would be notified. Not sure if it works the same here or not. But glad it's being taken care of! It was hard to see what was what sometimes lol

Old 10-31-2017, 01:54 PM   #7
Watermelons
Administrator
RABBIT_ADMIN.png

Liked 567 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Every time a post is reported we get an email. It doesnt make the process any faster but fills our email aweful fast.
Most spam posts get removed before any of you guys notice sometimes.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:41 PM   #8
lilnaugrim

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watermelons View Post
Every time a post is reported we get an email. It doesnt make the process any faster but fills our email aweful fast.
Most spam posts get removed before any of you guys notice sometimes.
So, same as my forum then.

It doesn't make it faster but it does bring it to your attention if you happen to not notice. Not everyone is on 24/7 as well, including Mods.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:10 PM   #9
Watermelons
Administrator
RABBIT_ADMIN.png

Liked 567 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Nope. I prefer the report feature for legit posts that i may not notice that I would normally glance past. But thats just me 😅 It also generates a post in our reported threads area.
I try and check the forum a few times a day personally.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:52 PM   #10
Angie
Administrator
RABBIT_ADMIN.png

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 25

As Watermelons says, we do get the reports even in emails and come to "kill" them. The mods/admins here are excellent at keeping the forum very clean for all the RO people.