Dusty has small amount of pinkish blood

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustydog

Reaction score
Dusty is 8.5 years old. The only real health problem is he has is cataracts.
Lately he has had a small amount of pinkish blood coming from his rectum
I am not sure if it has something to do with his diet? The first time this happened was 5 days ago he was very quiet and was not interested in pellets or hay that day. We were worried he was not pooping so we gave him a small piece of apple (which he loved) and about an hour later he was pooping and hungry and acted normal. Last night again he has a small amount of pinkish blood from his rectum. Any advice of what this can be would be appreciated.

If you are certain it's from his rectum and not his urinary tract, it could possibly be coccidiosis. It's a common rabbit illness that can cause intestinal bleeding, and cause there to be blood in the stools, though usually there will also be threads of mucous with it. If caught early enough, it is treatable, but treatment needs to begin right away, usually albon or another sulfa antibiotic, or ponzuril.
This link has a good description of cocci, but it does contain graphic medical related photos.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Protozoal_diseases/Cocc_en.htm
Or this link if you don't want to see those pictures, though this one is a bit more technical.
http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Coccidiosis_Hedgehog.htm

Other possibilities, especially being an older bun, are a bleeding ulcer, or possibly a tumor/cancer.

So, I would recommend taking your bun to your rabbit savvy vet. It would be good to bring a fresh stool sample so the vet can test it for coccidiosis. If there's one with blood in it, it would be good to bring that as well. If that is clear, then the vet will likely want to take xrays. Keep in mind though, that older rabbits can be more sensitive to anesthesia, so if your rabbit needs sedation for the xrays, this will certainly be a risk.

Hi ! Thank you so much for responding. I looked at his stool and there does not to be any blood or mucus in it. Maybe it is Urinary. It is so strange though that when we give him (this is the second time now) a small amount of apple the bleeding goes away and his appetite and energy goes right back up. I will not hesitate to take him in though He is our very dear little friend and part of the family. I feel that asking the forum first lets me know if there is anything we can do ourselves without the trauma of the vet. Our Doctor Dr. Brey is the best but the car ride on a bunny getting up in age is very tough.
Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back