Neutering procedure advice?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_Moby_

Reaction score
Hello!
I have just scheduled Moby's neutering appointment, which will take place in two weeks (which might be rescheduled for a later date - I haven't actually checked if his testes have dropped! But he is 3 1/2 months old, so they should have descended by now, right?).

What is some general advice to prepare him for the vet trip? He is not accustomed to car rides, and has not been to the vet yet, so the drive will probably stress him out, not to mention the surgery itself. I have a carrier next to his cage that I fill with pellets and alfalfa hay, which he climbs into often, so hopefully being in there will calm him a bit during the drive (which is fairly short).

What is some advice for after the surgery? I'm sure the vet will give me instructions (they are listed on House Rabbit Society's recommended vet list), but is there any information that has helped you with neuterings?

The main thing I am worried about is keeping him locked in his cage while I am gone, because he is used to having free range in my room. This will probably stress him out, as will the surgery, and I want to keep his stress to a minimum.

Thank you for your time!

Have you taken him to the vet for a check up first? The vet would tell you if it's time or not for neutering.

The bunny rescue I have hardly ever was in or around a carrier either but he goes into it pretty much without effort. He sits quietly during the ride and nothing happens. I don't know if it's necessarily normal or not but I'm pretty sure most bunnies will sit quietly once in the car. The carrier is also lined with a fleece so it's not so hard on his feet. Don't feed him while he's in the car though or at the vet, he doesn't need it. He can eat all day right up until going to the vet though, I'm going with my bun in late December since that was the earliest she could take him for his neuter due to her busy schedule.

My vet recommended staying with him as much as possible after surgery which is why I did a Friday so I could spend the Saturday with him mostly and to watch him. Unless he severely hates his cage, I don't think he'll have much trouble sitting there quietly for a while while you're gone. Just make sure he's got plenty of hay and water and he should be fine. My bun goes into his cage at night for sleep time and he's mostly quiet until morning.

I'm no expert and first time bun owner but these have been my experiences/observations so far. I'm sure others will chime in as well :)

Latest posts

Back