Help! Digging his litter box???!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olibuns

Reaction score
I have a 1 year old neutered Holland lop that's as of late, been digging his litter box. He's been neutered for a few months now. Digging his litter is a new habit of his. I've been cleaning his litter every day but he'll start digging a few hours after I've just changed so it's not because his litter is full. I've been using paper bedding prior to this and changed to hardwood pellets just two days ago to see if it's the bedding that's causing his change of behaviour. He still digs his litter box though. I'm wondering what I could do to stop this because it's tiring having to clean up his cage every single day. Thanks in advance!

My rabbits only dig the litter when it's really clean, like when I just put it in the box. I also use hardwood pellets and they love digging when there is a ton of still hard and clean pellets. I generally change the litter in the afternoon and they do it until the next morning. They stop doing it as soon as the pellets are a bit covered or some of them have broke down. So... maybe, don't change the litter as often? I put very little litter on the bottom of the litterbox (which is pretty big) so that it barely cover the bottom (it becomes a lot bigger as it absorbs the humidity anyway) and change it every 3 to 4 days.

My buck sometimes does this for maybe a week at a time every now and again, then just stops. It might be boredom or seasonal; I'm not sure. European rabbits are diggers by nature, so it shouldn't be wholly unexpected.

You can buy soft metal litter box screens for digging behavior. Some people swear by them. My buck hates them, though. He'll hop in, get a surprised look on his face, then immediately jump out of the box. (Almost as if to say, "What the !@#$ did you do to my bathroom, human?!")

To echo Blue Eyes: I've also noticed that when there's more hay in the boxes, he doesn't dig -- only when it's relatively fresh litter. Her suggestion is definitely worth trying.

Latest posts

Back