Pet rabbits are NOT to be released into the wild! A read for everyone!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
http://www.8womendream.com/35260/living-the-american-dream-sometimes-requires-a-leap-of-faith/

Here is a lovely story full of hope and inspiration....About a mother who decided the best way to teach her young daughter about responsibility was to release the pet bunny into the wild....Sadly I am not heart warmed!

[email protected]
http://www.facebook.com/shellie.croft

Lets ask Ms.Croft to please write a blog educating people on the cruelty of abandoning domestic animals in the wild. Let her know that you do not find her story at all inspirational or touching. I am sure she will appreciate it....:)

Ugh, how awful. I wrote to her. I tried to be polite and informative and not nasty. Poor rabbit. I hope he's found the ultimate freedom by now, since being alone in the wild was probably not all that fun.

That is too bad. I think she had good intentions behind it because she felt bad for the bunny being trapped in a cage but she no doubtedly released it to it's death. That was a white rabbit! No way it could hide :( poor thing.

I just felt my blood pressure surge!
I have FAITH that, that poor whiter than white rabbit got eaten before lived out his first week in the woods.

Thats horrible! How is that a learning lesson for your freaking kid? Teach your kid how to keep a freaking promise and take care of her responsibilities. Or just take care of the animal yourself like all parents do when a kid gets a pet. Its never the kids pet other than in title.

Oh my god, I'm really pissed right now. That makes me sick! And to put it up like its some great thing...

wow, she signed the poor bunny's death warrant and is actually PROUD of this... what a horrible mom! you shouldn't set a bunny free in the woods any more than you'd set your own child "free" in the woods to fend for themselves!

Wow... Just wow...

She even mentions right in the bloody first couple paragraphs about the coyotes and cougars and hawks in her area... And she doesn't think a WHITE rabbit is going to stick out like a sore thumb?

She is PROUD that her daughters beloved PET is going to be ripped apart by predators?

And that cage was never, by any means, a "large hutch, if that cage is what she was referencing to.

Ugh, definitely need to write in about this.

agnesthelion wrote:
That is too bad. I think she had good intentions behind it because she felt bad for the bunny being trapped in a cage but she no doubtedly released it to it's death. That was a white rabbit! No way it could hide :( poor thing.

Agreed 100% So sad :(

On the actual article, no more comments are permitted-- such a shame. So it remains where it is.

The author, on the other hand, can be emailed as Katie suggested.

I wrote her this:

I just read your article from "8WomenDream." I'm afraid it did not inspire as intended. Rather I was saddened and disturbed. I can see that you did what you felt was best, but I'm afraid it was sorely misguided and so it inadvertently sent a horrible message to your children and your readers.

Domestic rabbits are completely different creatures than wild rabbits. Domestic rabbits are completely incapable of fending for themselves in the wild. For instance, domestic rabbits have completely lost the ability to know what plants are toxic to them. They will happily munch on a poisonous plant (if not prevented from doing so by us humans ) and can die within hours of doing so. That alone, would be reason enough to never release a domestic rabbit into the wild. Also, since domestics in the US descend from European rabbits, they are genetically incapable of successfully breeding with any US wild rabbit. I don't think I even need to mention that a pure white rabbit would make an easy target for any number of predators.

So, I'm afraid your actions, while well-intended, taught the wrong lesson. Domestic rabbits should not ever be released into the wild. It is cruel and a virtual death sentence. The far better option would have been to build a larger hutch with an attached run. If you had only researched more about rabbits and provided appropriate care, THAT would have been a good life lesson.

yeah, I saw the no comments thing... gave it a thumbs-down and a dislike instead ><

I might've considered emailing her if I thought I could muster up even a fraction of the civility you used... unfortunately "what the f--- is wrong with you??" would hardly pass for civil.

Imbrium wrote:
yeah, I saw the no comments thing... gave it a thumbs-down and a dislike instead ><

I might've considered emailing her if I thought I could muster up even a fraction of the civility you used... unfortunately "what the f--- is wrong with you??" would hardly pass for civil.
Your so funny, Jennifer... (I gave a thumbs down also)

Maybe she'll read between the lines because I was thinking the same thing you were!!

:( poor bunny!
I found one of my rabbits hopping around my street a few months ago. We think she was released and abandoned because no one contacted us after we put posters around our area. She is now living a spoiled life in my home (that brat!). At least now Marshi has a friend to hang out with at home!

:cry4::cry4::cry1::sad::banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead I think that pretty much describes what I'm feeling right now. I agree, if I emailed, there would be a lot of use of some not-so-nice words. Poor bunny!!

Marshi wrote:
:( poor bunny!
I found one of my rabbits hopping around my street a few months ago. We think she was released and abandoned because no one contacted us after we put posters around our area. She is now living a spoiled life in my home (that brat!). At least now Marshi has a friend to hang out with at home!

Archie was a stray found near where I live. I still look at him sometimesnand wonder what stories he could tell if he could speak. He's a light silvery color and I also can't believe he stayed alive. :( sometimes i feel sad and then i feel so lucky that I'm now his slave and our paths crossed and I can give him a happy life.

Is this lady serious?! This is the exact same thing as dumping your dog on the side of the road and calling it "setting him free". People. :X

If your kid is not taking care of a pet, re-home it. And don't let them have any more animals.

or take care of it yourself. FFS, if you let your kid have a pet, you NEED to go into it knowing that you're ultimately responsible for the pet if your kid is being fail about it. parenting 101 - don't let them have a pet if you're not willing to take over when they get bored with it.

it's less like dumping your dog on the side of the road, more like dumping it in the middle of a six-lane highway.

So she taught her daughter its ok to throw animals away when she doesnt want them anymore? claps to her... intelligence. (sarcasm)

Latest posts

Back