Need some help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering about this. I am a rabbit breeder (mini lops) now last year i did get 2 kits and such but now the issue is due to colours as i am getting another rabbit in 2 weeks time that is a buck (blue-self) well i can not breed him with the Chin Doe i have. Since the clours will not be great to show.

I was wondering would it be okay to breed brother and sister (Just this 1 time) or Father to daughter (same reason) to see?

Just the father won't breed with her mother. and my doe's brother has been with a doe for a year and no luck at all :(

I know it is risky as i have been reading about on what could happen and such since they are very close. But it might be the only way I can do due to the colours i only have and there is no mini lop breeders that have anything that isn't in the same line as mine.

Please keep comment's nice. I do have the room for more as I do show them every month.

We've never bred siblings and I don't really want to try it; however, we have bred father to daughter and mother to son. When you line breed you just need to be more careful.

If you can go to a show outside your area you might find someone who has a color you can use.

We've never bred siblings and I don't really want to try it; however, we have bred father to daughter and mother to son. When you line breed you just need to be more careful.

If you can go to a show outside your area you might find someone who has a color you can use.

The issue is the color of the doe is very hard, as most of the mini lop breeders that show where i show. there lines are into mine so they don't have the color i need.

Would father to daughter be okay to do? both are chin mini lops

Yes. If you have a chance to go to Nationals or convention you'll find an abundance of rabbits to look at. Down side is they cost more there.

IMHO, this is a very difficult question to answer as of now.

If it were me personally, I would not even though I think the risk of doing this only for a single generation is relatively low. One of the consequences of breeding brother and sister could be offspring with very reduced fertility...in the long run, that reduced fertility could wind up being more expensive than finding an addition now with different genes that has the matching colors. Also, while I do not know of any rabbit-specific studies that have closely monitored the outcomes of inbreeding, some studies examining dogs have suggested a potential risk is considerable increases in certain genetic disorders, but no one has done a great job explaining just how much of a risk there is because there are so many variables involved. Experiences with dogs may or may not apply to rabbits, but it makes me interested in how it could impact a rabbit's ability to resist certain conditions that may be present from birth (for example, a pathogen that causes head tilt, which some believe is passed down by the mother at birth, and can remain in a rabbit's system for years without ever presenting itself.) The rabbits that I have owned, foster, or interact with that are clearly mixed breeds have had dramatically fewer GI issues than rabbits I have owned that are not--as of right now, that doesn't mean a whole lot beyond a casual observation because I've not done formal research on this, the rabbits I observed have not been blinded (as in blinded research...not blinding the rabbits themselves), and I have not interacted with enough rabbits to have a large enough sample size to offset false correlations occurring by chance. So this casual observation could have occurred by coincidence. YMMV.

I think in our lifetimes, genomic testing will reach a point where it takes virtually no time at all and can be done in-home with basic and inexpensive equipment...at such a point it would allow parents and breeders to rapidly answer these questions with far more certainty than is available now due to a process that is prohibitively expensive and time-consuming.

Further, more research involving rabbits as pets (rather than as a test bed for products or medicines intended for humans) is desperately needed to answer many important questions, including those regarding this topic. And as of right now, even the more basic things are still suffering from a data deficiency. We don't even have nearly strong enough evidence to conclude which medications work best for what in regards to treating many common diseases/conditions that affect domestic rabbits.

Inbreeding and line breeding are different. In line breeding you can breed father to daughter or mother to son, but then you should bring in a different line to breed with their offspring. Line breeding, done correctly, can improve your herd, but it also requires that hard choices be made sometimes.

Latest posts

Back