Please help :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatHan96

Reaction score
I dont know if i am being paranoid.. but its just about coming into winter and my outdoor bunny barely EVER uses or snuggles into her hay and blankets in her hutch.. she just loves to sit in between her two hutches on the rubber mats i have placed over the concrete. She is always covered at night by tarpaulins, but whenever i come check on her she is literally barely ever on the comfy blankets and hay.

Is this just because she purely isnt that cold? Or maybe because i am just not checking on her when she is actually using them? I dont know.. surely if she was freezing she would use them right? Please help me :(

Rabbits are quite adapted to the cold weather. I figure once she decides she's cold, she'll snuggle in her blankets. :) One of my rabbits is do stubborn, he uses the bathroom in his house area, and doesn't sleep in it; he sleeps on the top of it! Just keep an eye on her, and keep her covered with tarps at night. :) I used to staple a tarp around most of my rabbit's cage, but left an area so he could get fresh air.

I see that kind of concern pretty often in rabbit-related forums, so your rabbit is quite normal ^^. A young healthy rabbit should be rather resistant to the cold. If your rabbit has got a thick winter coat, he should be OK. Wind and humidity are actually a lot more deadly than plain old cold. I would just keep an eye on the rabbit to check that he's acting normal, give a bit more pellets and high-calorie vegetables (like parsnip or carrot) to help him to make some fat and of course, make sure that he always has fresh unfrozen water...

My outdoor bunnies kick the bedding out of the hutch. My eldest (8 years) kicked the fluffy blanket out of the sleeping compartment, out of the hutch, out through the six inch hole in the shed and to the other end of the run.

I've given up even trying. The hutch is covered in winter in blankets, and it's inside the shed. If she's cold she can use the hutch, but mostly I find them sleeping on the floor.

I wouldn't stop trying to keep the bunny comfortable.
They are smart social animals locked in solitary confinement for life. Maybe they are trying to send a signal? Maybe they are afraid of the wild animals at night? Maybe they are so angry that they are destroying the place. Maybe it's just natural digging and biting behavior.

for gosh sake, how would you like to live like that?
try to improve bunny's life please.

Your bunny's probably fine. My two did the same thing- they would push all of the bedding out of their little house, no matter what we gave them, and then huddled together in the corner. Rabbits will remodel their homes to how they like them, and however you think they might be most comfortable, your bunny might have another idea. I wouldn't worry about it. As long as she has everything she could need, and is protected from the wind, she should be ok!!

Rabbits4ever2 after 4 years of trying every bedding possible, and Sophie kicking it out of the sleeping areas, often as soon as I've put it in there, I think it's safe to say that she doesn't want anything comfy to sleep on.

As MissyandMoonlight said; rabbits will remodel to the way they like it. My Sophie especially. If I'm doing anything in what she considers her territory like gardening, cleaning the litter trays, or removing old destroyed cardboard boxes and giving them new ones, she hovers around me, watching like a hawk. When I'm done she investigates and if there's something she doesn't like she changes it.

My rabbits are not locked in solitary confinement. What on earth gave you that idea? Sophie and Milo are a bonded pair. They are outside buns living in a secure shed and run combo (all metal run, no wood and chicken wire). During the day they have access to lawn, digging space, a sand pit for rolling in, branches cut from fruit and safe deciduous trees to gnaw. Bushes, crates and other things to run around and hide under, as well as obviously being able to get back in the shed and hutch via a cat flap. They play and binkie all the time. I've seen Milo, who comes in at 3.6kg (he's big, not fat) do a full 180 in the air... admittedly that may have been the wind making him jump. He's not fond of the wind. Even Sophie, at 9 years old, binkies.

Hana is a rescue with health problems, so is not going to find a better home easily. While she is on her own, she has human contact for most hours of the day and night, plenty of things to keep her occupied, as well places to hide when she's not feeling social, and a "talking wall" to have some interaction with Milo when she gets outdoor time (Sophie hates her, poor wub). We're considering finding her a friend, but currently we have to get her health sorted out... she's got quite the medical history.

My bunnies are happy, and as healthy as can be (Hana's issues aside... we're getting there though). Sophie is 9 and aside from a touch of arthritis that we manage with meloxicam, she's not been ill in the 4 years I've been caring for her. Milo is 7 and has had GI once from eating bread that the neighbours had been feeding to the gulls, but we got him through it. Daily trips to the vet, syringe feeding, painkillers, fluids... I'll do anything for my buns. In fact I took Hana to the vet at 9am for her vaccines and a dental check this morning (back on Wednesday for sedation and work on her wonky back teeth... ech), after 5 hours sleep due to pulling a 14 hour shift (if I sound a little grumpy or incoherent *yawn*), because that was the only appointment on a Saturday they had. Please do not accuse me of not caring for my rabbits based off one remark.

hi. I am sorry.
I had just been reading a lot of posts by people who seemed like newbie rabbit owners. I should have known that this site is more educated.
so I am sorry I jumped to the wrong conclusion. I would be very offended if I were you, also.

I have been on the internet since way early--we had a rabbit site (my boyfriend was a coder and helped to develop some early web browsers) so for years I have gotten mail from people who don't know the first thing about rabbits. And I guess I had a knee jerk reaction. I do try to inform these people to help their rabbits.

Latest posts

Back