What the best Rabbit food

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ac11045

Reaction score
We are receiving 3 rabbits soon 2 mini Rex and a Holland lop what would be the best food for them all babies ranging in age

We are receiving 3 rabbits soon 2 mini Rex and a Holland lop what would be the best food for them all babies ranging in age

Could you explain about the rabbits you are getting? What are their ages (in weeks) and what are their genders? Since this is your first post, we don't know what (if any) experience you have with rabbits. Are you aware that getting two young rabbits runs the risk of them not getting along once hormones activate? Having 3 continue to get along is very unlikely.

Rabbits usually get along fine as babies. But once hormones activate, they can begin fighting. In order for rabbits to bond, they must first be fixed (both males and females, and even if they are all males or all females). Once fixed, they need to go through a bonding process. Some bonds work, some don't. (Have you checked the costs of spays and neuters in your area?)

So if you get baby rabbits (not recommended for first time owners) then it is likely that they will need to be separated -- each in its own cage and own exercise area -- once hormones kick in. Then, after they have healed, they may have to continue to be kept separate if they decide to not bond. Just wanted to be sure you are aware of this possible outcome.

It is recommended, for this reason, that new bunny owners start with an already fixed rabbit, or an already bonded and already fixed pair of rabbits. Trios can be quite tricky and really not recommended for beginners.

About food, rabbits under 6 months should have plain (no colorful add-ins) pellets that are alfalfa-based. That switches to timothy-based as they grow. But the main part of a rabbit's diet is hay.

Last edited:
The ages are unknown to us at the moment the 2 rex will live together the lop will not live with them all female and all will be spayed before we receive them. I have not personally owned rabbits before but my parents have the 2 rex are my sitter and the lop is mine im 14 and my sisters are 8 and 13

Try to find out the age before you get them. Often vets don't spay rabbits until they are 5-6 months of age. Rabbits are considered adults at 6 months of age.

The reason it is important to know their age is because rabbits under 6 months receive a different diet than adult rabbits. Oxbow brand has pellets for juvenile rabbits (under 6 months of age) and a different formula for adult rabbits (over 6 months). Here is a link with some other pellet brand suggestions.

Do you know if the rexes are already bonded? If not, they will need to be (if the rabbits are willing).

Oxbow has a great selection of pellets for all ages of rabbits: baby, regular, and mature. Oxbow also has great hay. We have used Oxbow for years. For a treat Oxbow has a great new pellet formula that is appropriate for all rabbits that contains all of the nutrients that rabbits need. I like Oxbow because they have less sugar and other junk that is harmful to rabbits. Oxbow is the purest cleanest out there.

Rabbits' diet should be 80% fresh hay, 10% fresh greens like parsley and Romaine--never, ever Iceberg lettuce, and occasional Dandelion greens. Avoid too much high calcium and high sugar veggies as too much calcium causes urinary tract problems and stones, and too much sugar can cause obesity and mega colon, etc.

Actually any fresh, green, sweet-smelling, high-quality hay including orchard hay is great. Your rabbit won't eat hay that is old or moldy.

Oxbow is the purest cleanest out there.

Oxbow is a decent food (as I've suggested above) but it isn't quit accurate to say they are the best out there. The UK has some better brands with better ratios. Some of those better brands may be available for online purchase. I haven't seen them at the standard US pet stores, though.

You can see a comparison of various brands at this link:

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp

Latest posts

Back