Diarrhea?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickeyandluna

Reaction score
So I was picking up their droppings from the floor just now (they're having trouble with using the litter box 100% of the time) and I came across this? Im not sure which bunny its from, as I have two, but I was just wondering if this was categorized as diarrhea or not? Its wet and gooey. They've both poo'd after me finding this and Im not seeing anything else like it. Should i be worried? View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1495254389.019002.jpg

It looks like those may be some cecotropes? I hope I didn't get my words mixed up... I've had those pop up every once in a long while. I've always monitored for several days before rushing to the vet. Sometimes it may be a one-off occurrence, where the rabbit may have either missed it or they wanted nothing to do with ingesting it because it touched the floor.

But I would cut back on greens for a bit and try to cut it down to just hay, and see what happens.

To me, based on my own experiences with my rabbits... It looks like cecotropes, especially if no other droppings of that consistency have been found since. I would just monitor the droppings and keep an eye out for any more. I don't ever disregard an oddity like that, and if it has me concerned, I'm on the phone with my vet instantly. Don't disregard, but don't worry too much unless it keeps happening or looks to be worsening.

I had my first rabbit, and I panicked over a couple just like the ones pictured. The vet I went to at the time explained cecotropes and how that whole process works... Just so I never panicked like I did again. Back in November, my senior bun- Harriett- had excessive amounts of cecotropes in her pen. I monitored until I could tell it had reached a point of excess. Got her to the vet, and discovered there is some arthritis and may have been preventing her from being able to do what she needed to do. Got some medication, and she was like a new bun after that.

I agree that it looks like bits left uneaten from a cecotrope. Sometimes this happens and is no big deal. I'll find the odd one on occasion from my rabbits, though the ones I find are usually dried up. No need to make any dietary changes. However if you start finding mushy pasty cecotropes or a significant portion of ones left uneaten every day, then changes to the diet may be needed.

Diarrhea is usually watery or pudding like fecal poop, instead of the round balls that are normally produced. Diarrhea is often considered an emergency with rabbits, depending on the severity, and if it is not just one time of a very small amount.

Latest posts

Back