Bunny destroying coroplast

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyBusiness

Reaction score
We've been using a big dog crate with coroplast flooring as a cage for one of our rabbits, lately he's been really going at one of the sides, he does it all night and even woke me up at 3 AM doing it and he's in a different room. He does have a wooden chew toy that he's massacred and I let him out for some exercise before I go to bed, I'm guessing it's a hormonal instinct to be trashing his cage.

What advice can you give me to keep him from chewing it up?

I'd suggest getting rid of the coroplast. That isn't safe to be ingesting.

Provide loads of hay right before bed. That should catch his interest. To replace the coroplast on the floor, you could get a thin piece of wood cut to size and cover it with either linoleum or vinyl stick tiles. Just be sure the edges are secure so he doesn't get them. For the sides (it looks like from the avatar picture that you have the coroplast on the sides to keep mess contained?) you could just get some lengths of plain (untreated) pineboard. Maybe 1/2 or 1" by 4 or 6" [Pine boards are fine for them to chew on. It's the pine shavings that emit fumes]

It is also a good idea to rotate bunny toys. It helps keep them interested. Cardboard anything (boxes, tp tubes, etc) is great for bunny to chew on. It is safe to ingest too provided bunny is getting plenty of hay. You can even stuff paper towel tubes with hay. Sea grass mats, wicker balls, willow sticks are other options too.

The picture is of a different rabbit, I used coroplast because that was the only flooring I had available for the crate and I had to do it asap because we was sexed a female and it turned out wrong and he was with a female (I've made a post on that). On top of that he was spraying and the walls were too low on the outside and he's very messy.

I do change up his toys and made him a paper towel with hay inside, he loves throwing it.

We do have wood for building raised garden beds but I'm not sure if it's pine, I'll know by tomorrow, thank you for the help.

Also he is fine, he did seem constipated today but after giving him some blackberry leaves, mint and dill and some exercise he was able to poop. :)

Latest posts

Back