Bunny had a sex change and possible oops litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyBusiness

Reaction score
We have a holland lop and a lionhead bunny from the same store, when checked they were both supposedly females, although 4 days ago the lionhead began to show some hormonal behaviors, so we separated them before it ended in a fight. Today we checked its sex and it's a boy, although the holland lop is still a female, I can't tell exactly how old they are, we're guessing at 3-4 months old.

The question is what are the chances that the lop might be pregnant or are they too young still? She has not had any changes lately and from the time I spent with them letting them out and watching them I've never seen the male mounting the female, but I don't spend all day with them either.

Well, before introducing two of the opposite genders, you need to have them spayed/neutered. If not, it could result in accidental babies. And, without properly introducing them without them being spayed or neutered, their hormones are super high, so fighting is likely to occur.

I don't know if your female is actually pregnant, but I researched and found this,
Females can get pregnant past 10 months.
I don't know if this was 100% true.

Thanks for your reply RabbitAsh, I sure hope that's true, of course we never intended to breed them and rechecked their sexual organs at home the day we got them since it's easy to mistake them when young and the lionhead did look like a female. As mentioned now they're separated 24/7 to avoid it happening if it hasn't yet. I do understand the importance of spaying female rabbits so I plan on saving up for it in the future, before she turns 1 1/2 of course to avoid the increased risks of getting cancer.

No worries, I thought Ash was a female until I fully checked then immediately got him fixed.
Anyways, before putting them in the same enclosure again make sure both are fixed. Not just the male or not just the female.
If one is fixed the other will be very territorial, get into fights, and other dangerous things. Also, once you do fix your female, make sure you wait a few weeks before putting her in the same enclosure with your male. The healing for females is much more dramatic and serious and could be damaged if put with another rabbit.
I learned all this information while owning my rabbit for a while. These are all very serious tips to look into if you want a happy bun. Hopefully, I haven't made this too complicated!

Anyways, if you have concerns or questions go ahead and ask. Good luck with your bunnies.
Ps, good thing your rabbit was a male, females, and females don't get along very well. If so it would've been much worse.

You didn't make it complicated. :) I have read up on this on how it takes time for the hormones to die out and especially with the males that are still fertile for a while, I don't think they will be together anymore though, the lionhead doesn't belong to me but to a family member and it was to breed with since we have another male lionhead, so that idea kicked the bucket, if anything I'd consider adopting a fixed male for my girl when I move out, 3 rabbits already take up so much of my time. And yeah I heard about how females try to kill each other for territory, it was a scary thought and people were adamant on separating them.

Just make sure whatever you do, if you're going to have your female with another bun, make sure they're both fixed. Also, make sure they properly greet. Have them both in cages close to each other then slowly introduce them with your supervision.

This rabbit stuff is a lot of work and research. But what can I say, their exotic animals that need good care.
Good luck with your bunnies.

Again, feel free to ask ANY questions concerning your rabbits! I'm here to help :)

They are definitely not too young. Males can get a female pregnant as soon as their testicles drop. Females its harder to tell. Some cases have been as early as 10wks or sooner. You cant guess.
A 3-4month female could possibly be pregnant.

I will check her stomach in about a week then and see if I feel any lumps. I know regular vets don't do rabbit treatments but could they also check her? There are no exotic or rabbit savvy vets near us, they're all a 2-3 hour drive.

If you don't want to wait the 30 days gestation period you might be able to get a vet to do an x-ray to see if she's pregnant.

The best time to palpate is at 2 weeks, but unless you know where to press you could guess wrong or worse, hurt the unborn kits.

Yikes I wouldn't want to hurt them, I'll have a vet do an xray depending on the price, if not I'll pay close attention to her behavior, I read that not all show signs but mostly always they begin to pluck fur the day before. Thanks for the help everyone.

Latest posts

Back