Need some cage advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabbitAsh

Reaction score
So, I decided to get Ash a new cage because he chews on the one I made. He chews the wood, and I'm afraid they are giving him splinters and can give him splinters. Ash is still a small boy, only 1 year and a few months. And I'm also buying him a playmate (spayed female).

Here is something I was to make cozy and put in my room for the two of them, is this good enough?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MU2F1RI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Also, give me a few ideas to think about.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking along similar lines when I got my rabbits, and opted to get the 32" heavy-duty version because I was concerned that a full-grown rabbit could knock the thinner xpens over or jump over the 24" cage height.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XU0B62/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

A bonus was finding that I could link two of the panels into an "L" shape to use as a door gate or barrier. (I bought a second set because they worked so well.)

Downside is they are more expensive and heavier (if you prefer lighter weight). My rabbits aren't huge jumpers, so I probably could've gotten away with 24", but the 32" definitely gives me peace of mind... they are rabbits, and if it looks jumpable... :D

Below are examples of how I had the cages set up when I first got my rabbits.

DSCF0412.jpg

DSCF0433.jpg

I love your setup @samoth!

Rabbitash I think your pen looks good but depending on your buns may need to be taller, especially if you put a box or hidi house that they can jump on, then jump out.

If you do go with the xpen (which I loooooove them, by the way) and you remain concerned about the bunny jumping out, put a sheet over the top, and use clothes pins to secure it. :) My smaller pen came with a canopy, but you can easily DIY it. (Pippi, my Holland lop, is a climber. The canopy tends to make her think it's impossible to climb that high now... lol)

x-pens can make fine cages. If you plan to get a bondmate, then wait until the two are bonded before setting up the new cage. It is always better for two newly bonded rabbits to have a new (and very neutral) cage to go to once they are fully bonded. You don't want either rabbit to be in the new cage until they are both fully bonded.

Also, 24" is too low. Don't go any lower than 30" (though some would say that even 30" could be low). The smaller the rabbit, the higher they can jump.

Ash is an adult at his age. Is he fixed?

x-pens can make fine cages. If you plan to get a bondmate, then wait until the two are bonded before setting up the new cage. It is always better for two newly bonded rabbits to have a new (and very neutral) cage to go to once they are fully bonded. You don't want either rabbit to be in the new cage until they are both fully bonded.

Also, 24" is too low. Don't go any lower than 30" (though some would say that even 30" could be low). The smaller the rabbit, the higher they can jump.

Ash is an adult at his age. Is he fixed?

Yes, Ash is fixed.

Back