Mysterious dead kits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franky77

Reaction score
Well it was on the 3rd day after my 1st time mother gave birth to a litter of 11 including 1 still born. The litter was doing fine, until I checked on em the third day- there was 3 dead kits on the mesh floor of the hutch. The mysterious part is how did they get out of the nesting box??? I know that 3 day old kits are definitely too weak and small to make it over the lip of the nesting box by themselves. I've thought that maybe the kits could have been latched onto the mothers teat feeding and then when the mother was done feeding maybe they stayed latched on and got drug out that way?? I've seen this with puppies but never with rabbits. Or did the mother remove them with her mouth for some reason?? I've read mother rabbits abandoning kits because of human smell is a myth. Dogs will move puppies by the neck but once again I've never seen it with rabbits. Anyone else ever heard of this??? Thx u

Rabbit's don't move kits like dogs and cats do. They most likely got drug out because they were still latched on to mom when she got out of the nestbox. Don't underestimate how far kits can go on their own! That's why, when we have litters, I always check on them before going to bed. More than once I've had to return a kit to the nestbox.

Latest posts

Back