sick lion head (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitrookie

Reaction score
hi last night someone dropped of a "6 month" old albino lionhead with us about 2 hrs ago it started twitching its head and then started flopping around in its cage now its head is tilted and its fron legs are spread apart and is clicking its teeth for about a min or two at a time the vets are closed until tomorrow just wondering if any one is familair with these simptoms the previous owners are saying that thius has never happened before

Try rolling towels around the sides of a carrier, and laying the bunny inside. Its critical that she doesn't roll, as she could easily get a life-threatening injury. Be sure she's eating/stays hydrated and get her to the vet ASAP. It could be a number of things incluiding E. Cuniculi, or a middle or inner ear infection. The tooth grinding means she's probably in a good bit of pain. When one of mine had head tilt, we stayed up night with her to hold her and keep her from rolling. How bad is the head tilt?

not sure how to get her to eat or drink we have tried holding the water bottle to make it more convenient but she wont take to it as far as food she isnt responding to that either ive never seen this before and have raised rabbits for quite some time i'm stumped

Do you have any 1 mL(or bigger) syringes etc? Eyedroppers? Syringe water into her. Its critical she eats and drinks. Do you have any Oxbow Critical Care? THis is what we had to use when my rabbit had something very similar and it helped tons.

LakeCondo wrote:
I'm so glad the poor thing is in your care now. The previous owners obviously weren't taking good care of him/her.

It's possible it is caused by an ear infection, which you can easily be unaware of until the rabbit starts having head tilt etc.

Bunnylova4eva wrote:
LakeCondo wrote:
I'm so glad the poor thing is in your care now. The previous owners obviously weren't taking good care of him/her.

It's possible it is caused by an ear infection, which you can easily be unaware of until the rabbit starts having head tilt etc.

Definitely true. Neville's head tilt was an inner ear infection which came "out of the blue". And that bunny was watched 24/7 with no symptoms until that day. Antibiotics cleared up the inner ear infection and a month later, Neville is level again.

K:)

It would be quite a coincidence if it happened for the 1st time within hours of the rabbit's changing hands. Not impossible, but improbable.

LakeCondo wrote:
It would be quite a coincidence if it happened for the 1st time within hours of the rabbit's changing hands. Not impossible, but improbable.

You would be surprised how stress also brings on these conditions. Bunnies hide a lot because they are prey animals. Owners and breederssometimes can't tell.

Kreacher was rolling in less than 24 hours after I got him. Neville was fine in the morning and 12 hours later, his world was spinning out of control. (He was with me for more than a month)

K :)

thanks for all the responses i dropped her off at the vet this morning but they dont know much about rabbits we have an eye dropper to help with water but now her head is in the looking up position so it may just be stress we will keep a eye on her and search for a vet with rabbit experiance

We got the Critical Care at the vet. I think you can get it elsewhere but I"m not sure exactly where.

I'll keep her in my prayers :pray: ~It's really important to have a rabbit savvy vet if at all possible.

I've experienced twice and i can't see how anyone could predict the "head tilt" better known as "Wry Neck". All I do know is the quicker you get your bunny attention medically the more chance of turning the tilt around to normal. The longer you wait, the smaller that window gets.

Hoping you get attention for that poor bunny soon.

K:)

took her to the vet she said it sounded like epilepsy which more than likely caused a stroke she recommended we euthanized her even tho we only had her for a short time it still hard to do thanks for all the advice. our other buns are doing well and are scheduled to see the vet on a regular basis

So sorry to hear the news-especially hard when you just got her, too. Binky free~

Latest posts

Back