Flooring PLS HELP :')

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marylight098

Reaction score
Ok so I bought a not so cheap cage. That has no wire flooring. So I cannot put newspaper under the cage. He eats the newspaper so thats why I cannot put it inside the cage. I really dont want to buy the hay because is so messy and the nearest petsmart I have is really far away. And I would have to be buying a LOT for the whole cage. Im not gonna even try litter-box training him because I know he is just going to poop and pee wherever he wants. He is really stubborn ��. I need something that I can remove easily for changing the newspaper.

You may be thinking: "If you knew it didn't have wire flooring, then why did you buy it?". Well because I was so excited for him to have a new and big cage that I forgot that I would later on have problems to clean it...Im dumb ��

This is the cage:http://www.petsmart.com/small-pet/s...-choice-rabbit-habitat-31924.html?cgid=600011

Let's start with the basics. It is a good thing to not have a wire floor. Those can be uncomfortable for a rabbit and can cause sorehocks. So there's nothing wrong with a solid floor. It is actually preferable.

Litter training is a piece of cake! Seriously. Rabbits tend to go in one corner anyway. It is simply a matter of providing a proper litter box set up. The only difficulty will be that the cage is rather small to fit a proper size litter box. Once a proper litter set up is provided, rabbits basically train themselves. Here is further info on that.

Many here on the forum use wood pellets (not shavings) for litter. It is inexpensive and absorbs odor. The link I gave above show photos of this. Alternatively (but more expensive) is pelleted paper litter like Yesterdays News unscented.

Hay is absolutely essential for a rabbit's health. They should be eating their body size in hay every day. You can get hay from feed stores for incredibly cheap. (Way, way cheaper than buying bagged hay.)

Providing a litter box that has wood pellets topped with hay and then having the remainder of the cage floor left alone will be enough to get bunny to litter train. They like to potty where there are soft things. They don't like peeing on solid surfaces. [Any bunny will drop plenty of territory-marking poos when first placed in a new cage. That will dissipate in time -- and if a litter box is provided.]

I'll link a recent thread about hay below...
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/showthread.php?t=87792

:yeahthat:
I agree with everything blue eyes said. You can't not buy hay, that's the main thing your rabbit should be eating. If he doesn't, his teeth won't be correctly worn and his guts won't work properly. Maybe you were only talking about not putting hay in his entire cage but if you are thinking of not giving hay at all, you're going to kill your rabbit. Also, don't use newspapers that's full of ink and not good for your rabbit if he eats it. You just put a litterbox in one corner of the cage (if the cage can't accomodate it, it's too small - a normal rabbit cage is at least 1m long even if the rabbit has to be out of it at least 5 hours a day), you put wood pellet litter inside and hay over it in a hayrack or something to encourage your rabbit to go there. He will. If he is not clean after that, he is not stubborn, he is hormonal and needs to be neutered.
Normally you leave the rest of the cage bare. It's a lot more hygienic that way and it never seemed to bother my rabbits. It's also a lot easier to clean that way ^^.

I have a large dog kennel/crate for my bun's cage. I use a soft blanket for her floor and for the floor on top that is actually wire bottom. It keeps her feet on something soft and not hard. I thought I read somewhere hard surfaces were not good on their hind feet??? She LOVES her blanket flooring. Each morning I have a small hand held vacuum. I clean out her cage every morning with the vacuum to remove the excess poop pellets or shavings or hay pieces around her litter box. She is a bit of a hay snob, she only likes the long pieces and pushes the smaller pieces out of the way LOL

I hope it works out! I've never had a rabbit that didn't obediently go to the litterbox for pees. Poops are often a bit less reliable (in my opinion, females are a lot cleaner though ^^) but some poops here and there are not that hard to clean up.

Oh ok. Thats another good option Andrea. And she seems adorable :'D. Its even cuter that she looks like my bunny omg :3 <3

Latest posts

Back