Fairly New Rabbit Owner With Questions!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cayzi

Reaction score
Hi! I'm new to owning Rabbits. I got my first rabbit on Nov 28th 2014. I got my second one Jan 9th 2015. I'm curious about the breeds of my rabbits. I thought they were holland lops but I was told they are a mix of something else. I also learned recently they have specific names for their colors? I was wondering what mine would be!
Mimzy~ He doesn't really have the forehead to be a full holland lop and he's much smaller than one right now. He's 3.5 months old.
B6SwtP-CcAAHHmB.jpg:large

Molly~ too small to really tell what she is. Her coloring is weird. It's white and dark brown. But the dark brown has light spots of blonde or lighter brown in it.
molly.jpg

They have their own small room and theyre in different cages. Theyre both not neutered or spayed yet. So they have their play time separate. I plan to have them bond once theyre de-sexed. I was wondering if having a new bunny in the room would bother my older one? When molly is out playing and running around Mimzy will bite on his bars and shake his cage. I was also wondering once Mimzy is neutered and I wait 6-8 weeks would I be able to introduce Molly to him even with her unspayed? Or should I just wait until shes spayed? Its going to be months until they meet but they see each other playing and from their cages. Would that make it easier or harder for them to bond later on? I feel Mimzy is jealous of the new bunny even though he gets no less attention. Molly just seems very curious of Mimzy. Should they be in separate rooms until theyre neutered and can meet?

Also! Ive had Molly for only 3 days and was told she was 8 weeks (seems younger though) Because when I got Mimzy they told me he was 8 weeks as well and I got them from the same pet store. He was never as small as Molly though. Anyways. Its only been 3 days and shes licking me a lot. It seems like a good thing but Im not completely sure. She was in a group with a lot of bunnies when I bought her. Maybe its a sign she misses them? Also when she licks me she seems to smell a bit bad? Im not sure if its her breath or saliva. But I smell her fur and it seems okay.

Also! We have a carpeted living room surrounded by tile. Mimzy always sniffs the tile but would never step foot on it. But my new bunny went on it no problem. Is this just a personal preference the bunnies have?
And last question! Mimzys ears have always been warm or hot or neutral temperature but Mollys always seem cold. Especially the tips. And her stomach makes gas noises when she drinks water. Is this normal? Should I try to warm her ears?

Sorry for the rambling and long paragraphs! Thanks for reading. I hope to learn a lot about rabbits!

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/showthread.php?t=76391
Weights and better photos may help
Very well could be purebreds. One of our breeders can best tell you. They may well just be poor examples of the breed (pet quality) if they being referred to as mixes

Thank you for your response! Ill try to get some better pictures tomorrow morning. Its very difficult to get them to sit still though!
I did weigh them and Mimzy(3.5 months) is currently 2.9 pounds and Molly(2 months) is 1.2 pounds.

Hmm the nose seems too sharp and the ears too long to be well-bred Holland lops. They could be purebred minilops. Coming from a pet store though they're probably backyard breeder mixes. Also, don't trust the age pet stores say they are. Legally pet stores can't sell bunnies any younger than 8 weeks, but they know tiny babies look and sell better. Colour-wise, Mimzy is a sooty fawn and Molly is a charlie agouti.

Wait till Molly is spayed to introduce them. Mimzy is just reaching puberty right now, so you can probably get him neutered within the next month. Actually, I would take both of them to see a rabbit vet right now for a general health check, it won't cost much. The vet can then tell you when Mimzy will be big enough for his neuter, give Molly a dental check (healthy bunnies shouldn't smell or have bad breath), and check them both over for any possible health issues.

Molly licking you is a good sign, she sees you as one of the buns! Hopefully you are giving her lots of pets and attention back. If she is younger than 8 weeks she will be feeling alone and lost without her siblings and mummy.

Some bunnies have a hard time getting traction on tile. It is personal preference. Making noises while drinking is normal. I don't know about the ears though! It's possible, if it's cold, Molly may not be very good at regulating her own temperature because she's so young. Give her something warm to snuggle in if so.

Hmm the nose seems too sharp and the ears too long to be well-bred Holland lops. They could be purebred minilops. Coming from a pet store though they're probably backyard breeder mixes. Also, don't trust the age pet stores say they are. Legally pet stores can't sell bunnies any younger than 8 weeks, but they know tiny babies look and sell better. Colour-wise, Mimzy is a sooty fawn and Molly is a charlie agouti.

Wait till Molly is spayed to introduce them. Mimzy is just reaching puberty right now, so you can probably get him neutered within the next month. Actually, I would take both of them to see a rabbit vet right now for a general health check, it won't cost much. The vet can then tell you when Mimzy will be big enough for his neuter, give Molly a dental check (healthy bunnies shouldn't smell or have bad breath), and check them both over for any possible health issues.

Molly licking you is a good sign, she sees you as one of the buns! Hopefully you are giving her lots of pets and attention back. If she is younger than 8 weeks she will be feeling alone and lost without her siblings and mummy.

Some bunnies have a hard time getting traction on tile. It is personal preference. Making noises while drinking is normal. I don't know about the ears though! It's possible, if it's cold, Molly may not be very good at regulating her own temperature because she's so young. Give her something warm to snuggle in if so.

Thank you for all the information! Ill see about taking them for a check up. And Ill find something for molly to snuggle in!

I tried to take proper pictures of my younger bunny Molly. My phone camera isnt very good though. I'd like to know when I should get her spayed. Right now shes supposedly 10 weeks old but she seems younger? Shes very small and I don't think she's grown much since I got her and my other rabbit grew very quickly. Her ears just started to lop Jan 23rd. I'd also like to know any other information. Like anything about her breed. I'm starting to think she's a mini lop instead of a holland lop. thank you!~
Album

Latest posts

Back