Huge Problem- Moving

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InternationalBunnies

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
So I currently live overseas in China and we are going to be moving back to the US in the summer. However, I have 3 bunnies that I got over here in China... I cannot, at all, leave them here. Does anyone have any experience with transporting rabbits internationally? Any advice or information is greatly appreciated.

I don't have any experience with that. However, I thought for sure that someone here on RO had to do the same thing. It must have been during the time I've been a member here. Have you tried the search posts feature??

I know there have been people who have taken rabbit oversees when the move. There does seem to be a fair amount of hassle, mostly dealing with airlines since most don't allow rabbits.

I would suggest doing a lot of research to figure out what you need. There can be things like quarantine, vet records, and others to make it as easy as possible. Airlines can be pretty picky about crates, so make sure whatever you used is suitable. If you need any permits or anything, best figure out what you need and get it well before you leave. Also, book the rabbits on a fight as early as you can and make sure yo check on the reservation often. This may mean booking your own ticket early as well. Many airlines do limit the number of pets on a flight, and it can book up fast. It is also good to arrive at the airport early to make sure they are checked in and on the plane.

Taking food and hay can be an issue as well, you are usually ok with it in the crate, but may have to dispose of it before you leave the airport when you arrive. It may help to have them eating something that can be bought in the US, I know Oxbow does sell in Asia, so could be an option even if it is just to get them used to something that is easy to get.

I vaguely remember there being an issue that they only permit one pet per carrier -- and of course that is an issue with bonded bunnies, since they are supposed to stay together. ??

That may depend on the airline. I know some allow 2 pets as long as they are the same species and would get along and fit comfortably in the carrier. Others might only allow 1 per carrier. I am not sure if it matters if it is an international flight or not. It does tend to be carry on that only allows one per carrier since the space is rather small. Most international flights don't usually allow pets in the cabin.

Best to make some phonecalls and speak to the real people incharge of what happens upon inporting an animal.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/66/~/pets-and-wildlife---general-information
There are no Centers for Disease Control or U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) restrictions or requirements for rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters and ferrets, brought in as pets, as long as they appear to be in good health, they may enter the U.S. If they do not appear to be in goods health, they will be subject to quarantine at the owner's expense. Hedgehogs can only be entered in designated ports, and are prohibited if from New Zealand

Latest posts

Back