Cage change

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky_2017

Reaction score
Ok so my rabbit Lucky has two decent sized cages (both for inside) and there used to be one upstairs (the large one) and the one downstairs. So just recently we had the family over for an Xmas party, and we had to move furniture around. Since my bedroom is pretty big my rabbits cage got *temporality* moves here. Since the party we really liked the way the room was set out so we want to keep it that way. Fine by me but the rabbit cage won’t fit... [emoji51]. We bought the rabbit cage because when I brought him downstairs he pooped EVERYWHERE but when we added the cage he pooped in there. So his cage is permanently in my room, just wondering if the size of it is ok, bearing in mind he can be left in there a while sometimes (but when I am doing jobs such as cleaning or getting dressed I let him run down the hall and all around). The bins on the top of the cage are filled with sawdust and hay. He can jump from cage to cage..

View attachment IMG_1514535966.345071.jpg

I have a few suggestions that might make things a bit simpler. The space that is shown in the photo with the 2 cages attached together could be used better for Lucky. I would suggest replacing both cages with an exercise pen. The pen can be configured to fit that same footprint.

The advantages to doing this: it would give Lucky much more open space to move about. Currently, those two cages don't give him any running or binkying space. The most he can do is half a hop in the one cage, and a single hop in the other. It isn't "open space."

The other advantage is that you wouldn't need to keep filling both cages with bedding. Just get a large litter box (or you could use the bottom of the smaller cage as a litter box -- just remove the wired top of cage -- to place in the exercise pen area.

The tube and hidey can also be placed in the are. All you need is a piece of lino (or a heavy duty tarp with a piece of fleece on top) for the floor.

The attached photo of an exercise pen was a temporary set up in a hotel. However, it is set up to roughly the same size that your current two cages occupy. See how much more floor space is available for moving about?

(looking for photo....)

Latest posts

Back