Rabbit one ups me everytime! How to stop the cycle.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amanda82491

Reaction score
So it all started with my rabbit Lilly tipping her water dish over. So I got her a water bottle.

Then she started digging her litter out of the litter box. Then I got a litter box with wires over it.

Now she is peeing right outside of her litter box and on one side of the cage!

I think she likes to do this because it makes me have to clean it up, thus giving her attention, or she likes to bug me! Either one. I don't know what I can do to stop this behavior. She always finds a way to do something naughty. I have given her toys while I'm at work, maybe she's still bored? Thoughts, Thanks!

-Amanda

She's actually probably just bored or yes, wanting more attention. She might need more space, or more diversions like a grass hay(timothy, orchard,etc) if you don't already feed it, cardboard boxes to shred, apple or willow branches to chew up, dried hard pine cones to chew, a dig box made with a cardboard box and shredded or ripped up paper. Just one caution if using the boxes or paper, if you have a rabbit that likes to consume more than just the tiniest amount of paper, then this wouldn't be a safe idea due to the risk of it causing a bowel obstruction.
http://myhouserabbit.com/rabbit-behavior/enrichment-for-your-pet-bunny/
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/showthread.php?t=88546

Other option is getting her spayed if she isn't already, then finding her a spayed/neutered bunny friend to keep her company. This involves finding a rabbit she seems to like(as not all rabbits get along). Best combination is usually female/male. Then going through the process of bonding(which I suggest thoroughly researching before you attempt). If your bun is in a smaller cage, this would also require expanding the space significantly to accommodate two rabbits. If a bunny friend isn't a possibility, and she is in a smaller cage, expanding her space may still be something to consider. This can be accomplished by using a puppy exercise pen of sufficient height to prevent jumping over, and chew proof flooring. Here are some links with ideas. You can also take a look in the Housing and Environment section here on RO, for more ideas.
http://myhouserabbit.com/rabbit-care/housing-your-pet-rabbit-indoors/
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/showthread.php?t=87073

For the peeing outside the litter box, it's her saying she doesn't like the feel of the hard grate on her bunny feet. Only way to fix this is to change the litter box setup. If the grate lays directly over the litter, I would suggest layering hay over the grate to make it soft on her bunny feet. If the grate is above the litter with a space in between, you may need to change the type of grate that you are using to one that is right on top of the litter. For my rabbits I made soft screens out of pet screening. I'll include the link where I explained how to make them. If you want more specific suggestions, I would suggest posting a picture of your setup.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/showthread.php?t=86734&page=4

With the litter box issues, I cut holes thru a cardboard box for apples so it was all enclosed and contained--less scattering that way. Also, Spike and Mr Hoppes would be in the box but the rear end was hanging out, so the higher lip got them all the way in.

I’d say she has a pretty big cage, it’s 3ft by 2 ft, with 2 stories. She did get spade. She does have one rabbit she gets along with, but it’s my friends rabbit who she maybe sees once a week. I guess I have to try new toys. She never likes the toys I buy her, only stuff like paper or boxes. I also put hay in her litter box at night. She’s a very picky bunny! I heard Dutch rabbits are like that though, strong willed!

This is her cage set up, the litter box just has wire creates over it now

25399134_10155988148301098_6734797015564212305_n.jpg

I’d say she has a pretty big cage, it’s 3ft by 2 ft, with 2 stories.

That's only 6 square feet, so it isn't large. (additional levels don't really count toward "floor space" because she can't utilize them at one time.) It is less than the minimum recommended by the House Rabbit Society. Can you attach an exercise pen so that she has permanent access to the extra space?

She needs room for exploring type activities. Not all rabbits are interested in the smaller toys, but they do tend to like tunnels and cardboard boxes. An exercise pen would allow room for some of those fun things to help keep her occupied.

How much time does she get outside her cage? Rabbits who are in a cage for the majority of the day do get bored, especially if they don't live in pair. Toys don't really do much for most rabbits especially if a human isn't there to 'help' them play with them. My rabbits are mostly interested in running around and jumping in little houses with several storeys than playing with anything, but they can only do that because they are not inside a cage. I second the suggestion to attach a run to the cage if you can't bunny-proof a whole room to let your rabbit free during the day.

thanks for the suggestions! I do try to let her out once a day to hop around. Still living at my parents home so room is tight, but when i move out in the next year I can add some extra space. What do your rabbits like to play with in their cage?

I do try to let her out once a day to hop around.

The nice thing about an exercise pen is that it can be configured in just about any shape to fit in whatever space you have. Any extra space will be welcome and can provide that ability to move about. Rabbits are, after all, built for speed and love to dash about. With the extra space of a pen, you can be assured that she's getting adequate time out of the cage itself - without extra effort on your part even on those busy days.

In answer to your question about what rabbits like to play with, I'm including a photo with a double purpose. One is that it shows how versatile x-pens can be. I consider them to be a must-have for a bunny owner. Two is that it shows some of the various items a rabbit may like to have in their space to explore.

Until you move out, an exercise pen could be most appreciated by your bunny!

I'm also including a 50 second video showing one of my bunnies playing with a cat ball. Not all rabbits will do this. My other one ignores that ball. But it is just an idea you could try out. Small toys, though, usually only hold their attention for a very short time. Exploring tends to hold their attention longer.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S5_o4pe4i4&list=PLWVNGtRUDQPtlkeT6hgf-AH19uU0Lz1tW&index=11[/ame]

uses for an x-pen.jpg

Latest posts

Back