New Rex doe.....aggressive behavior?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bethstang

Reaction score
Hi, I just picked up a 14 week old Rex doe from a breeder today. I have her in a x-pen with a litterbox. She was kept outside, so she is not litterbox trained. I noticed that she pooped so I was picking her poop up to put in the box and she lunged and grunted at me. Is this normal behavior for a new rabbit? I’ve owned rabbits before, but they’ve been bucks and they never exhibited this behavior

She's new. She's adjusting to a new home and new cage. She's probably hormonal. For any or all of these reasons, it wouldn't be unusual for her to be showing some cage aggression.

I'd suggest leaving her completely alone for the next 48 hours. You just got her. If she poos in the cage, leave it alone. Let her mark her new home. Don't worry about cleaning up poos for 48 hours. (Urine can be wiped up) Just go about whatever usual activity would be going on in that room. This will help her to get used to her 'new normal.'

After the 48 hours, you can sweep up the poos and put them in the litter box. But let her adjust for these next two days by not being bothered in her cage.

I agree. At 14 weeks, hormones are beginning to influence rabbits behavior and it's not rare for intact does to be very territorial. Don't bother her and give her a chance to get used to you and her new surroundings. But ultimately, spaying is the only thing that will really calm her down... you can have that done in about 3 months.

Latest posts

Back