Baby Rabbits (6 Days old)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilmorg

Reaction score
Mother rabbit died had no choice but to fed them by hand. Been feeding them all animal milk replacement that vet said to give them. They have been eating about 2ml every fed 2-3 times a day but are looking really skinny and have not much energy. Please help

animal milk replacement doesn't have enough fat.
feed them more often (like every hour).

Rabbit Formula Recipe

1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup water
1 egg yolk
1 Tablespoon corn syrup

Mix well, heat to body temp. Feed the formula slowly, as rabbits can aspirate easily. DO NOT force the food in their mouths. If they breathe it in, they will likely get pneumonia and die within a few days.

Genuine question here (I've never raised a baby rabbit or anything of the sort), but does the formula above have enough salt to ensure proper absorption by the GI tract? Sugar (corn syrup) and salt have to go in together, or they don't go in. Is there enough in the egg yolk or evaporated milk? (I don't have sodium contents of those on me right now).

oh, also, my rehabber friend uses tuberculin syringes to feed orphaned cotton tails. she finds it offers better control on flow.

Latest posts

Back