Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > The Rabbitry and Show Room > Holland Lop Fuzzy vs. American Fuzzy Lop??

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:24 AM   #11
dallasmyponi

Sorry to hijack the thread- I am looking for AFL doe and buck for show and breeding. Looking for shaded, I have an older tort doe I would like to replace. I am located near Vancouver BC and will travel far and wide. There is NOTHING available here.

Thank you other Fuzzy lovers!

Old 02-13-2011, 06:31 AM   #12
Korr_and_Sophie

Liked 223 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 13

dallasmyponi wrote:
Quote:
Sorry to hijack the thread- I am looking for AFL doe and buck for show and breeding. Looking for shaded, I have an older tort doe I would like to replace. I am located near Vancouver BC and will travel far and wide. There is NOTHING available here.

Thank you other Fuzzy lovers!
There is a show near Edmonton next weekend and there might be some AFLs there. I don't know if there is anyone from your area going, but it could be worth it to ask. I think there is also a show in Victoria area that weekend too and it is a bit closer. You might be able to contact the show secretaries to see what the breed entries look like. Even if there aren't any for sale, you might find a breeder you can talk with and buy from later.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:34 AM   #13
kirstin

Lol. GO FUZZIES!!

Old 02-13-2011, 07:49 AM   #14
TCRabbitry

actually, EVERY line of hollands carries the wool gene. Some breeders have done better about breeding so that it doesn't pop up as much, but that is where the American Fuzzy Lop came from.

The reason that EVERY line of hollands carries the fuzzy jean is because when they were creating the holland lop, they used the angora to increase the density of the fur.

There for, EVERY holland has angora in their background, and the wool gene is a sneaky gene, like chocolate or BEW that can hide for generation upon generation, and only pop up once in a while....

Old 02-13-2011, 05:26 PM   #15
kirstin

Huh. Interesting...

Old 02-13-2011, 09:14 PM   #16
TCRabbitry

It is correct though that a fuzzy holland can not be registered. The rabbits could not be registered until all 3 generations of the pedigree has fuzzy lops in it. Until then, it is not considered a purebred.

As a matter of fact, most Holland Lop breeders, will not sell a fuzzy with a pedigree to keep people from trying.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:10 PM   #17
pamnock

Liked 43 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

TCRabbitry wrote:
Quote:
actually, EVERY line of hollands carries the wool gene.

The wooled gene is recessive andcanbe bred out. Not everyHolland carries the wooled gene and not every line of Hollands carries the wooled gene.

It took about 20 years for the New Zealand breeders to eliminate the wooled gene from most lines.

nockrabbits.com

Old 02-14-2011, 04:48 AM   #18
TCRabbitry

But by being recessive, it can hide for a long time, so even if it is thought to have been "bred out" it can crop back up, just like the chocolate or BEW gene.