Red, flaky skin near chin/neck area

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paytonjkp

Reaction score
Hi there! I have a 1 year old Holland Lop male named Toby. He was on my lap today and something like a leaf was on his face and I was taking it off and I noticed he was losing fur. I took a deeper look and noticed there was a large area of missing fur under his chin/neck area. It’s quite red, slightly flaky, and pretty smelly from the damp fur. He’s had something similar but not as bad as this before... but it quickly healed and I never took him to the vet. Now I’m thinking it’s dental issues which is causing drooling and loss of fur... My vet is closed today but I already contacted them to set up an appointment. With all of this being said, thoughts? Has anyone experienced something similar to this with their bunnies? Thank you in advance.View attachment IMG_1512338504.002579.jpgView attachment IMG_1512338516.286607.jpgView attachment IMG_1512338527.903337.jpgView attachment IMG_1512338539.744335.jpgView attachment E732A614-34C0-45E7-9100-8587CE8B99AF.jpg

Last edited:
If there is dampness under the chin/mouth and it's not from drinking from a water dish, then it very well could be drooling from a dental issue. It's a common symptom when there are teeth issues. In which case, a thorough dental exam by an experienced rabbit vet would be the next step to take. If it doesn't turn out to be drooling or dental issues, then I would be looking at a possible skin infection from the area getting too wet from drinking.

Latest posts

Back