Emergency please help asap!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So we are vacationing in Orlando Florida for a few weeks. We have been here a few days and tonight noticed Nestle's left eye looks like this:

IMG_20171130_204537893.jpg

This happened so suddenly! Just a grey cloudy area where the pupil should be. Please need suggestions for a vet! Thanks for any help!

Looks like cataracts to me, honestly. Did you find a vet to take your bun to to be sure?

Too late to call, no vets were still open. I did find one on the HRS page. Intend to call first thing in the a.m.

Do cataracts develop very quickly? We were wondering about glaucoma as she has a history of clear, benign drainage from that eye.

Yep, looks like a nuclear cataract to me too. The time it takes to develop depends on the cause - a lot of cataracts develop slowly on old rabbits, but you don't necessarily notice until it's very visible, but one can develop after an impact. It can be caused by e cuniculi, but I think it's doubtful here as their is no visible rupture of the lens.
It's something you'll need to monitor with a vet, cataract can be treated by surgery and e cuniculi calls for a one month treatment, but rabbits with poor vision or even no vision at all generally adapt quickly and live very well - Aki has lost her vision one year and a half ago (the optical nerve stopped working, as she was getting old and has violet eyes coming from her albino mother... from what I've read REW rabbits often have poor vision and often become blind as they age) and you would never guess watching her... I've never even seen her bump into anything.

Thank you for the replies, they are very heartening!
Dx was cataracts, mature in left eye, a very small one in her right.

No sign of infection or abscess, right eye otherwise healthy. Left eye's pressure slightly low so she put her on Prednisone gtts with a return visit in 3 weeks.

Otherwise she is eating/drinking/eliminating normally. She is a bit more irritated and cranky than normal though.

Latest posts

Back