Second opinion

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickeyandluna

Reaction score
Im at the vet right now and Im not really sure what to think of her. My bun Kiwi has been having excessive cecotropes for about a week (pictures included) and she wants me to give her bottled water only, some of these antibiotics, and more greens. I don’t remember the full name of the antibiotics, but the prescription says TMS Syrup 240 ml/5 ml. I just dont want to give her something that she doesn’t need. Kiwi is 4 months old so maybe she will just grow out of the cecotropes?

View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1511800336.360734.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1511800347.816311.jpg

What about grass hay (not alfalfa)? Is the vet not wanting you to feed hay??

Oh, yes that too! She did mention giving a little alfalfa, but i was like ?? im not really sure if i trust what she said. she said she had a rabbit herself, but she wasnt really holding kiwi right and everything so i wasnt sure if she actually knew what she was talking about

From what I know cecotropes problems are frequently caused by diet. Rabbits under 3 months will leave cecotropes, but also rabbits having a diet which is too rich (the problem happened to my rabbits once when I went to my parents' house and had to buy a mix instead of regular pellets because there was nothing else - the issue resolved itself when I stopped giving them), obese / disabled rabbits who have a mecanical problem when it comes to grab the cecotropes, rabbits affected by GI stasis, rabbits who are so stressed out they interrupt their cecotropes eating regularly and leave them on the floor. Rabbits taking some meds like antibiotics. Generally giving the rabbit a lot of hay (regular hay like timothy which is not too rich) and stopping the pellets is enough to solve the problem. But in rare cases, rabbits affected by colibacillosis can stop eating their cecotropes. In this case cecotropes are often mucus-y and give an abnormal smell. It's probably what your vet diagnosed as you have to treat colibacillosis with meds (I might be wrong but it's the only case I know where a symptom like cecotropes problems is actually treated with something else than a change of diet / lifestyle) and the photos you've posted show unusual looking cecotropes. Antibiotics are given if it's caused by a bacterial infection. It's recommended to give vitamins to compensate the loss caused by the non-consomption of cecotropes. Eating them should resume when the colibacillosis is gone.

If you have a doubt about your vet, try seeing another. Having a rabbit is not enough to reassure me. Rabbit's guts are fragile and the cecotropes you show look really big to me, for a 4 month old, so I wouldn't just count on the problem going away on its own.

From what I know cecotropes problems are frequently caused by diet. Rabbits under 3 months will leave cecotropes, but also rabbits having a diet which is too rich (the problem happened to my rabbits once when I went to my parents' house and had to buy a mix instead of regular pellets because there was nothing else - the issue resolved itself when I stopped giving them), obese / disabled rabbits who have a mecanical problem when it comes to grab the cecotropes, rabbits affected by GI stasis, rabbits who are so stressed out they interrupt their cecotropes eating regularly and leave them on the floor. Rabbits taking some meds like antibiotics. Generally giving the rabbit a lot of hay (regular hay like timothy which is not too rich) and stopping the pellets is enough to solve the problem. But in rare cases, rabbits affected by colibacillosis can stop eating their cecotropes. In this case cecotropes are often mucus-y and give an abnormal smell. It's probably what your vet diagnosed as you have to treat colibacillosis with meds (I might be wrong but it's the only case I know where a symptom like cecotropes problems is actually treated with something else than a change of diet / lifestyle) and the photos you've posted show unusual looking cecotropes. Antibiotics are given if it's caused by a bacterial infection. It's recommended to give vitamins to compensate the loss caused by the non-consomption of cecotropes. Eating them should resume when the colibacillosis is gone.

If you have a doubt about your vet, try seeing another. Having a rabbit is not enough to reassure me. Rabbit's guts are fragile and the cecotropes you show look really big to me, for a 4 month old, so I wouldn't just count on the problem going away on its own.

Kiwi was born with a head tilt so do you think that may be a contributing factor? Although this problem didnt start until recent.

I thought she was a boy until today and she had been with my male rabbit, maybe that caused her stress? Mickey, my buck, always chased her and stuff. I should’ve put two and two together regarding her being female, but i just figured Mickey was fine with kiwi being a boy. The water here also isnt that great so maybe its the water? We just moved and it was never like this where we used to live and had better quality of water. Im gonna use water bottles for their water now.

The vet ruled out gi, said kiwis tummy sounded fine.

When they were weaned off of their mom, I put kiwi (thought she was a boy at that time) with mickey and had my two other girls together so he wouldnt be alone and they were separated like that. Luna (the mom) and kiwi didnt get to bond and its my own fault, i know, any tips on bonding them so i can put all my girls together? Kiwi and her sister, lily, are just fine together. Luna is getting a bit better, she just chases kiwi when she sees her out at the same time and im worried she will hurt kiwi.

Anyway, do you think I should give her the medicine? Theres not any other vets here that see rabbits. Ive called everywhere and the only other place had bad reviews saying it was extremely dirty.

Also, their diet consists of timothy hay. I took out the veggies thinking it was what was causing the cecotropes, but apparently that wasnt it. Petco is out of the pellets i feed them (the mazu(?) brand. In a white bag) so ive just been waiting for them to get more so i dont have to suddenly change it, and so they havent had any pellets in a while. Could the lack of pellets be messing up her tummy and causing it?

Excess cecotropes can be from a diet that is too rich. Often the culprit is too many pellets. Alfalfa is also very rich. I don't see why your vet would recommend any alfalfa at all. Cutting back pellets would make sense. In fact, that may normally be the first recommendation in this case -- to cut out the rich pellets.

Jenny (Jbun) had a through explanation of this on a prior thread. Hopefully she will see this soon and chime in.

Latest posts

Back