Eating lettuce

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ama124

Reaction score
I know green lettuces are best for rabbits, butmy boyfriend kept feeding our rabbit iceburg lettuceyesterday. We needed to go to the store to get more food forhim, and we had half a bag of iceburg lettuce salad stuff that is goingto go bad soon so he wanted to feed it to Thumper instead of throwingit out. Is iceburg lettuce bad for bunnies or is it just notreallynutritional?

You should not be giving iceberg lettuce to yourlittle one.Best to go without if that's all youhave around.

-Carolyn

Iceberg lettuce is very high in moisture content,low in nutritional value...causes diarrhea, particularly in young buns,which can be fatal.

The only reason it is so popular is that it was the first lettuce thatwas capable of being shipped nationally aboard refrigerated railroadcars from coast to coast with relatively little spoilage, thusconsumers were able to "enjoy' lettuce all year round for the firsttime.

Buck

thank you carolyn, do you have any idea why itsbad for them? This is causing me and my boyfriend to arguebecause I told him it wasn't good to give him and he just doesn'tunderstand how lettuce could be bad for a rabbit. Thanks.

That makes sense! Luckilyheisn't too young and he seems to be ok. Thanks for your help,I'll try and keep my boyfriend and my rabbit away from the iceburg!

It's not going to kill the rabbit, but it's bestto stay away from it or at least give it in moderation. AsBuck said, it can cause the runs and has little to no nutritionalvalue.

You might share the following list with your boyfriend.

http://earthhome.tripod.com/saferab.html

-Carolyn

When I was little, my mother worked at arestaurant, so our rabbits were fed vegetable scraps and entire head oflettuce as well as the piles of green grass I picked for them in themorning. Our rabbits were used to these feeds, as they wereraised on them.

A sudden change in diet can be fatal!

Gorging on a particular food can result in a terrible tummy ache oreven fatal chemical reation in a rabbit who's gut flora is notacclimated to digesting that particular food. Some animalsare more suseptible than others. Studies have resulted intheories statingthat gorging on certain foods creates achemical response that slows the gut down, resulting in proliferationof harmful bacterias in the gut including C. botulinum. (In otherwords, in some cases, botulism is the suspected cause ofdeath). This chemical reaction has been studied extensivelyin search for the cause of "grass sickness" in horses.

I would not take a chance -- throw the lettuce away and don't risk yourrabbit's health. Small amounts of vitamin packed fresh darkleafy greens are a far better choice. Good rule of thumbabout what to do with that old food in the fridge"If youwouldn't eat it -- don't feed it too your pet".

I may have already shared this story . . .

Years ago, a lady bought a bunny from us for herson. I advised that greens not be fed, as the bunnywas on a pellet diet. The little boy gave the bunny greensfrom a carrot top and the poor creature died and had been foaming greenfrom the mouth :(

Pam N.

Back