job interview this afternoon

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowyShiloh

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have a job interview at 3:30 pm my time. It's to work in the campus greenhouses! I love plants and think I would really enjoy this job. Please wish me well! I am so nervous, which is kind of silly because I'm quite good at job interviews, thanks to years of practicing for fire department job interviews (which are pretty much the scariest interviews ever). The lady said this interview would be an hour long! What are they going to ask me for an hour? The main reason I'm worried is that while I love plants and am good at caring for them, I don't necessarily know a ton of scientific things about them or the scientific names for most of them. I'm afraid the interviewers are going to ask me all these scientific questions about the biology of plants and I won't be able to answer them!

Hope everyone is having a good day!

Okay, I'm back! Thank you for all the well wishes :D The interview went rather... oddly. She only asked me three questions: what plants I have at home, what experience I have with plants, and whether or not I would feel compelled to break into the large animal research station next door in the middle of the night and set all the animals free. Apparently one of the greenhouse workers did that a few years ago! After the questions, she gave me a piece of paper with numbers on it and timed me for 10 minutes to see how fast and how accurately I could enter the info into an Excel spread sheet. She left the room during that time so I wouldn't be nervous, but unfortunately the room is also a classroom and the door was locked and people kept knocking to be let in so I kept being interrupted :pullhair: I did tell her when she came back that I'd had to get up and open the door several times so I didn't get as much data entered as I would have. Then, she gave me 6 pages of problems like this:

"If a plant is watered on July 1st, 6th, 12th, 18th, and 25th, when should it be watered next?"

I had to say how many days there were between each watering and then when I would water it next. There were about 60 problems just like that.

The lady was really nice and I tried to talk about how I'm qualified for the job, since she didn't really ask. She said she interviewed 8 other people for this position and I should hear back in a couple weeks. I'm not too hopeful I'll get it, but at least I tried!

Thanks again, everyone!

At least you tried! That's the important part. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and please let us know if you hear anything! (It's so hard to wait when it's something we really, really want.)

The greenhouse lady called and left a message! She asked me to call her tomorrow and she's looking forward to talking to me. What does that MEEEEAAAN? Couldn't she just say they're offering me the job or chose to go with another applicant over the phone? I'm going to be all on edge until tomorrow! I hope I get the job :biggrin2: Like I said, I don't think I did very well in the interview, but once I thought I bombed a fire department interview and almost fell over when I found out I passed. Fire department interviews are TOUGH and they actually have classes you can take to prepare for them.

I was thinking today and decided I can probably manage to work full time. I have my EMT class all day Saturday and Chinese three nights a week, but I'm pretty good at both topics and think I can manage them plus working 40 hours per week. My first semester of college I had 19 credits, classes 7 days a week and got an A in all of them and didn't have a nervous breakdown or anything. The greenhouse job is only 20 hours a week (as are all student jobs) and I could probably work as a cashier at Fred Meyer (applied today!) full time. Of course, I'd like the greenhouse job more!

Okay, I'm finished rambling! I will update tomorrow when I find out what the outcome is :pullhair:

IF they actually called to tell you that they offered it elsewhere, I think they woulda left a message (around here you just don't hear back).

Asking for a call back I would take that as a VERY good sign....they at a minimum want to talk to you again I would think!

Good Luck!

my fingers are crossed for you, but i agree, this definitely sounds like a good thing! if they didn't take you they might just send you a letter saying you weren't selected or they would just leave that in the message saying thanks for interviewing, but we picked someone else.

yay!!!!!!!!!! :):)

Tracy

:dancingorig:I think this is a good sign! I doubt they will want to talk to you to tell you that you didn't get the job...

What time are you calling? Let us know what happens...Good luck!!!

Working full time and going to school can be quite stressfull but it is soooo doable. I've been doing it for 4 yrs! If you feel it won't take away from your studies, I say Go for it!

No greenhouse job for me :( She said that she really liked me and wished she needed to hire another student, but someone else went faster on the timed data entry test. I wonder if she remembered that I was interrupted about 5 times during the timed test to let all those people in the room when they were knocking?

Sad Shiloh :(

Latest posts

Back