stop the chewing!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emilysmom

Reaction score
:Xhello everyone, i have been a devotedbunny mom for almost a year now (Oliver, age 5 years, Emily age 7months, and Oreoage 1 year.) They arewonderful. However, i live in a rental apartment, and for along time now i have been trying to keep them from chewing on thewall-to-wall carpet. I have tried all sorts of sprays,covering the corners with duct tape, i don't know what else todo! Does ANYONE have any suggestions?! There is NOWAY they are "bored".....they have tons of things to eat, play with,get into, etc, and they get ALOT of attention. Help!!

Thanks to all,

Lisa

EVEN though it sounds a little odd/cruel it reallyisnt, have you tried the water gun method? A quick spray to theirbehinds when in mid-chew, but be warned this is time consuming andrequires quite a bit of concentration on your part LOL I say thisbecause I had to have my television OFF in order to catch my two doingthe UNTHINKABLE for such "angels" haha

Some other members have found this methodto either detertheir bunnies from the inappropriate chew or the opposite and thebunnies think it is a day at the water park!

Another method, which isnt necessarily "toys" is to put a piece ofcarpet they CAN chew on top of what they shouldnt be chewing,somehow they do know the difference. My hardwood flooring ends on oneside, and the girls used to chew this until Carolyn so sweetly sent mesome Applewood, now the applewood has taken place of the flooring.

Lastly~I tried this but I swear Jezebel takes after me~a little bit ofuntasty (re:hot, spicy) tidbits put on the area. NOW BE CAREFUL-thisisnt really the most recommended method since I had read that one poorbunny reacted very badly to the hot sauce-so I watered mine down_Jezdevoured it...

Suffice to say I have a girl who is into spicy food and at the end of ahard day of play enjoys a nice relaxing cool down at the Tainan SpringsWater Park!

Good luck!

Cher

Hi, I have 2 buns and one seems to needto chew more than the other. This is a hard one I thinkbecause even though they have been provided with the appropriate thingsto chew, they still try to chew things they should not. Ido not spray behinds, I spray faces. I tried otherbody parts but their fur is so thick it seemed that they were notfeeling it. Keeping them out of a carpeted area is best butyou may not have that option. So I am going to giveyou a few suggestions that seemed to have helped me. Applewood is great if you can find someone who has an apple tree and doesnot spray pesticides on it. They love to chew onand take apart a cardboard box! This is big entertainment atmy house! It makes a mess but it does keep thembusy. Buy them rugs that are for them--maybe you can findsome at a yard sale or Goodwill. That way if they chew themup you are not out a lot. However do watch for thestring type- you do not want strings going into their digestivesystem. I also buy something called lava bytes at the petshop. Trouble my heavy chewer loves these and grinds themdown to nubs. He wont touch the wood pieces that you can buyat the pet store. I have wondered if some bunsteeth grow at a faster rate and therefore have a greater need tochew. I just do not know but I hope something here can be ofa help to you. do you have toys for your buns?Distractions my help also. You can buy baby keys and babylinks at WalMart that do not cost a lot. Hope Ihave helped in some way :D Beckie

Latest posts

Back