Pulling out Fur?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mae9406

Reaction score
I am just wondering what all the reasons could be thata rabbit would pull out her fur? (I've read around enough to know they do it when they are about to have babies, but do they do it for any other reasons? )

My female rabbit just started pulling out her fur in random areas in our apartment. At first, I thought she was starting toshed because it was all over the place in small pinches; then I found a slightly bigger pile in the corner of her litter pan before bed which I picked up and threw out not thinking to much about it (my male has been shedding all winter), but this morning I woke up to the corner by my bed having a HUGE pile of fur in it. :?

NOTE: I DO have two rabbits: a neutered male and a female (unspayed- for the moment). My male was neutered in October so I'm almost postivie she's not pregnant... Right?:confused2:

Should I leave the fur there for the next couple of days? Or can I throw it out?

It could be a false pregnancy. She thinks she is pregnant, so will make a nest and could act a bit more hormonal. Sometimes they will destroy the nest after a few days or a week.
You could move the fur into a nest box so you can still clean the litter box easily. It is probably best to keep the fur in the cage so she doesn't feel that she needs to make a new one every day.
There is not much you can do about false pregnancies other than getting her spayed.

Our female Nethie, Gypsy, was a late neuter at about 3 and a half years of age...
(she was a rescue)

She builds nests once or twice a year...
She seems to prefer her hay bin!
They are beautiful nests! :D

100_6231.jpg

We usually leavethe nestfor a few days and when it looks like she has lost interest...we just remove it! :)

Runestonez wrote:
Our female Nethie, Gypsy, was a late neuter at about 3 and a half years of age...
(she was a rescue)

She builds nests once or twice a year...
She seems to prefer her hay bin!
They are beautiful nests! :D

100_6231.jpg

We usually leavethe nestfor a few days and when it looks like she has lost interest...we just remove it! :)
aw, this post made me both happy and sad at the same time. you're right, it is a beautiful nest :) but sad because poor girl wants some bubbies of her own :(

Latest posts

Back