My bunny doesn't like her chew thingies...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreabaylon

Reaction score
Hello! I am a fairly new rabbit owner. I have a four month old dwarf rabbit named Nibbler. We know the basics of rabbit care, such as the fact we need to offer her a variety of things to chew on. I've bot alfalfa cubes, alfalfa crisps, flavored and unflavored wooden blocks, even some bird-like seed sticks, and salt and mineral licks. She doesn't go near any of them! The only thing she likes, other than pellets and hay, is fresh veggies. I have no problem providing her with all the fresh veggies she wants every day, but is this ok? Shouldn't she be 'gnawing' at something? We've kept a close eye on her teeth and so far they're nice and short. Any suggestions?

It's ok that she wont chew on the wooden blocks, none of mine will either.

You dont need Salt licks or Mineral stones, they'll get all they need from the food.

Try safe tree branhes bunny to chew on. Mine prefer that over a chew block anyday.

If you feed a viraity of hay that should be enough to wear the teeth down.

andreabaylon wrote:
Shouldn't she be 'gnawing' at something?
Scone won't chew on any "bought" toy, either. Don't worry about it. Toilet paper or paper towel rolls are a bunny favorite, especially if they're stuffed with hay. Try that.

Also, try corrugated cardboard boxes. If they're big enough you can cut a hole in one or two sides and the bun can destroy them from the inside out.

I second the toilet paper rolls and cardboard boxes, my 4 go nuts for those. I stuff the toilet paper rolls and then stick raisins in them, they LOVE that!

Also try phone books, mine love digging and chewing those as well. I don't know if it's the same everywhere, but in my town they have phone books in the front of the grocery stores that you can grab. Just make sure that the ink is bunny safe.

RexyRex wrote:
I second the toilet paper rolls and cardboard boxes, my 4 go nuts for those. I stuff the toilet paper rolls and then stick raisins in them, they LOVE that!

When you say raisins, are boxed raisins suitable for a bunny?

My Russell won't chew on anything that isn't flavored so I found these chew sticks with herbs and flavors on them that he will chew until the flavor is gone. They come in a four pack, and I think they are called "natural nibblers" or something like that.

Unfortunately my buns only like chewing on things that are in my lounge room! aka my shoes, my lounge, my carpet, my doors... I have given them a million things to play with.. but only my belongings will suffice!

[/quote]

When you say raisins, are boxed raisins suitable for a bunny?
[/quote]

Yep, boxed raisins are what I give mine. Another thing mine go crazy for are papaya tablets. You can pick those up at GNC.

My rabbits love chewing on Pinecones, Apple Bark.

sticks from a apple tree is perfer better,

Try.. Phonebooks, pinescones, Apple sticks, cardboard,

I forgot to add..
even some bird-like seed sticks, and salt and mineral licks arent good for rabbits. Rabbits cant have seeds in there diet. and salt blocks arent good for them..I just wanted to add that

Latest posts

Back