Cant afford to spay/neuter, what should i do?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't find anything on their site about neuters, I'll contact them. I should have fixed my one bun down in texas before moving up here in michigan. Vets in michigan are crazy expensive here.

Zyzra wrote:
I dont mean to sound rude or anything...but my personal opinion is that if you cant afford the medical needs for any animal you shouldnt have it. Its definitely good that you are giving it a home though at least. But what will you do if it gets sick and needs to go the vet? vet visits can be very expensive. I have a friend who can barely pay her monthly rent and owes me money that i have lent her to help out....and yet she still keeps getting more animals...it just bugs me lol. The local humane society near me does it for 60 dollars where as with a vet around here it is 130. Maybe there is something like that near you. Like people have said spaying/neutering isnt something that you HAVE to do if your rabbit is by itself..but it would be healthier for it. I would definitely start saving up a bit though for an emergency fund if anything happens to him/her and you need to make a vet visit. Good luck! :)

I wasn't gonna respond, and im sure you weren't trying to be rude but it was bugging meJust because I don't have money does not mean I should not be able to own an animal. I am a young student at university therefore all my money is going to that. I did not buy the bunny I took it from a friend who could not care for it. Personally I believe the bunny is better off with me and risking not getting medical care than being released into the wild or at an animal shelter. Everyone deserves the right to a companion. Just . because you have the money to pamper your pet or pay millions of dollars to make it live for another month doesn't mean your a better owner than me. I volunteered at an animal shelter for 6 years and I saw animals who were living in complete hell, and came from hell. I am sure the life it has with me is not that bad compared to there. If you believe all animals are treated equally in this world you are wrong, just like people some live in worse conditions that others, cannot afford medical care or have many issues. When it comes down to it, it is just a rabbit and my education is more important, im sorry. By educating myself I am learning how to help others in my line of work. I dont want you all thinking im an animal hater because I have sacrificed alot for animals over the years at the animal shelter and I have seen every type of animal in every type of horrible situation. I just don't understand why people go bankrupt trying to save their animal. I understand the emotional attachment, I have seen many animals I love killed but it is something we need to learn to live with and understand how unfortunate it is but reality sometimes. We just got to realize that the time we had with them and were able to help them was amazing. Im sorry for the rant this is not a personal attack on you, you just brought an issue that bugs me to my mind. Sorry everyone for the personal opinion just thought Id throw it out there and im not insulting anyone or blaming anyone of this.

I think as long as youre spending alot of time with it and it is the only rabbit it wont be too bad. I would ask you to have someone check that is a male or female.

As long as you have a good cage to keep it in and give it enough to chew on and keep its attention it wont be too big of a problem. I'm guesing you may be like me and don't prefer it running through the house... thus a pen that is kept clean, and wood to chew on, toliet paper rolls, chew treats from the store... that should keep its attention. I've a cattle dog, and its the same principle, if its not entertained its distructive lol.

A female, to me anyway, has always had testy times... just like us girls. A male tends to be goofier, but some will try to mark their territory, BUT if you have a cage and hes not left running the house, thats not a huge problem.

If you want to get it fixed, and can't afford it right off the bat, I KNOW what thats like... Just put some money back each week, or each month to help you out. Then when you have enough get it fixed.

I'm a big advocate of spaying and neutering Rabbit's, just like with Cat's and Dog's. $300 seems ridiculous to me, around here you can get it done for a lot less. I would definitely search online and call around for a cheaper rate. Make sure any veterinarian's you use are Rabbit Savvy, that is very important for the surgery to be a success.

:wave:

I urge you to try to find a vet that is less expensive, because although you will be giving this bunny a better life than it would have had if it were abandoned, the health benefits of spay/neuter are very great. It increases the life span by up to 10 years. It is my opinion that these additional years are a blessing for the rabbit, and you will enjoy them more for reasons already said.

http://www.bunnybunch.org/spayneuter2.html

Keeping an intact bunny, by itself, for an average lifespan of 3 years is better than releasing it into the wild. However, I want you to consider a situation in which the bunny is very ill, which can and does happen, even with good care. This may require emergency vet care. Usually it costs $70 (at least at my emergency vet) to just see the vet, and if you're not planning on spending any money on treatment, euthanasia is at least $30.

It's the owner's responsibility to give their pet a good home and a good life. It is also the owner's responsibility to have the animal PTS if it is very ill and they don't want to pay for treatment, or to surrender the animal to a Humane Society/SPCA that can do that (which usually costs around $30 as well, and often cannot be done on an emergency basis).

An animal's legal rights are food, water, shelter, and not having to suffer from illness, whether that means treatment or euthanasia. A person who cannot provide these things should not own an animal; their right to have a pet stops where the animal's right to those basic things begins. Please consider the cost of emergency vet care in deciding if you can afford to have a bunny. It's not just the cost of pellets, hay, and litter; you have to be able to afford euthanasia at the very least if it is needed.

edit: I am also a young student, living below the poverty line. I am self-sufficient based on a stipend that pays for tuition and a small amount to live on. It can be done.

So being a university student myself I understand. I made sure the rabbit I adopted was already spayed because I know it would have been really hard for me to afford it too.

My suggestion is to do some research, I'm sure you can find something less expensive. Sometimes there are options for people with lower incomes (which as a student you would probably qualify for). Also, I think the humane societies in some places can do it for like...under 100.

If you really cant afford it now I would start saving. Maybe if you set aside 10 dollars a month you would be able to. I believe in spaying / neutering all pets, but I have to say there are plenty of people who dont, including breeders and people who show rabbits.

Just make sure your rabbit doesnt contribute to producing more rabbits and save up. Eventually you will get the money. I really think there are much cheaper alternatives to 300 dollars.

I just had Sabrina spayed last week at Beattie animal clinc, about 30 mins away from you. It was $143 including taxes. The phone number there is (519) 756-1770.

Another place where her breeder recommended is Queensway Veterinary Hospital. They quoted me $105 plus tax, but I decided to go to Beattie because a friend's sister works there. The number is (519) 428-2630. Its a bit further of a drive for you.

I know know that there is a vet clinic in Cambridge that specializes in exotics (just google it and it should come up) I have no idea what their pricing is but it is very close to you!

Good Luck! I know exactly what it feels like to be in your position. I paid for her surgery in full right away and now I am dying until the 15th when I get paid!!!!!!

I would start saving now. She/He's still young so you have a bit of time. Just try saving 10-20$ a month, or a little more if you can. Just think of it as going out one less time a month.. Just skip a movie or a dinner and put that money aside if you can.

pherber12 wrote:
I would start saving now. She/He's still young so you have a bit of time. Just try saving 10-20$ a month, or a little more if you can. Just think of it as going out one less time a month.. Just skip a movie or a dinner and put that money aside if you can.
I think this is a great idea. It isn't critical that the rabbit gets neutered right at this moment in time - I know folks who work in rescue will tell you that sometimes get in older rabbits and have them spayed at 2 years of age or whatever.

I would start saving now - and take the time to find a place you can afford that has experience with rabbits. I would wait and have the rabbit neutered AFTER you have the price of the neuter plus $100 or so to put in an emergency fund for vet treatment.

I think it is great that you took in this rabbit and I hope he/she gives you lots of joy - we'd love to see pictures of your rabbit!

Hi, I just want to clarify what I was saying. I agree that it's fine to start saving up for a spay or neuter, or even to not do one, just remember that not doing it reduces their lifespan pretty substantially. It certainly is much better that the bunny has a home with you, whether it eventually gets fixed or not.

I just brought up the fact that emergency vet care can be necessary, and if you can't afford to pay for an emergency vet to see your animal and provide at least some care, it's not fair to the animal. They shouldn't have to suffer from illness if you can't afford to treat them or have them PTS in a medical emergency.

I understand how it is to be living paycheck to meager paycheck, but it's important to have credit or money stashed away somewhere to take care of them in an emergency. If you can't afford to stash away $100, it's not fair to keep the bunny.

I am amazed by this thread. Just because someone says he can't afford $300 for an operation that isn't even essential at the moment he is being lectured on the financial responsibilities that goes along with pet ownership.
Maskedburito didn't say he wouldn't spend any on the bunny's health but is just looking for a cheaper alternative. Rightly so if you have to watch your money.
I am sure if the bun got ill he (or she?) would find a way of getting treatment.
I have five kids and 8 rabbits! Can I afford them? Probably not. Yet I have never left them short of any necessary care. You just have to be more creative.

maskedburito wrote:
Personally I believe the bunny is better off with me and risking not getting medical care than being released into the wild or at an animal shelter.
Not to be troublesome... but maskedburito did imply that if vet care was needed there's the possibility of it not being given. In most states this is considered animal neglect/cruelty and something you can be charged for. I'm just being honest. I do agree that just because someone cannot afford a $300, unnecessary surgery right now, that does not mean they shouldn't have animals.

maskedburito wrote:
Zyzra wrote:
I dont mean to sound rude or anything...but my personal opinion is that if you cant afford the medical needs for any animal you shouldnt have it. Its definitely good that you are giving it a home though at least. But what will you do if it gets sick and needs to go the vet? vet visits can be very expensive. I have a friend who can barely pay her monthly rent and owes me money that i have lent her to help out....and yet she still keeps getting more animals...it just bugs me lol. The local humane society near me does it for 60 dollars where as with a vet around here it is 130. Maybe there is something like that near you. Like people have said spaying/neutering isnt something that you HAVE to do if your rabbit is by itself..but it would be healthier for it. I would definitely start saving up a bit though for an emergency fund if anything happens to him/her and you need to make a vet visit. Good luck! :)

I wasn't gonna respond, and im sure you weren't trying to be rude but it was bugging meJust because I don't have money does not mean I should not be able to own an animal. I am a young student at university therefore all my money is going to that. I did not buy the bunny I took it from a friend who could not care for it. Personally I believe the bunny is better off with me and risking not getting medical care than being released into the wild or at an animal shelter. Everyone deserves the right to a companion. Just . because you have the money to pamper your pet or pay millions of dollars to make it live for another month doesn't mean your a better owner than me. I volunteered at an animal shelter for 6 years and I saw animals who were living in complete hell, and came from hell. I am sure the life it has with me is not that bad compared to there. If you believe all animals are treated equally in this world you are wrong, just like people some live in worse conditions that others, cannot afford medical care or have many issues. When it comes down to it, it is just a rabbit and my education is more important, im sorry. By educating myself I am learning how to help others in my line of work. I dont want you all thinking im an animal hater because I have sacrificed alot for animals over the years at the animal shelter and I have seen every type of animal in every type of horrible situation. I just don't understand why people go bankrupt trying to save their animal. I understand the emotional attachment, I have seen many animals I love killed but it is something we need to learn to live with and understand how unfortunate it is but reality sometimes. We just got to realize that the time we had with them and were able to help them was amazing. Im sorry for the rant this is not a personal attack on you, you just brought an issue that bugs me to my mind. Sorry everyone for the personal opinion just thought Id throw it out there and im not insulting anyone or blaming anyone of this.

I have to agree with you on the affording thing though.. It doesnt mean you dont have money you can animals,, I am on this dog fourms and they pissed me off so bad that. I have 3 kids, I have a doberman, And they tell me that i need to give up my rabbits and my new pug puppy because i have 3 kids and i will never have time for my animals and cant take care of them because im a mother of 3 and im young.. Well they do not know me, My never hurt any animal and raised whole bunch of different kind of pets/animals.. So do not let people cut you down because you dont have money..

Like all other situations, we can't predict someone's future actions...

I think this misunderstanding has stemmed from an unfair remark, and a frustrated rebuttal... we all know that I am not a clear writer when I am frustrated !:biggrin2:

I sincerely believe that this gal (and everyone here) will do her best to find adequate care for her bun's necessary medical needs, no matter the situation.

To reiterate:
We all agree that speutering is an optional medical procedure that has life-prolonging advantages.
Everyone here is morally responsible to meet their animal's medical needs, regardless of personal hardship. As responsible owners, the onus is on us to ensure that we plan financially for both the everyday care and medical needs of our buns.

Let's leave it at that, shall we? ;)

Maskedburito, way to go you for taking in a bun in need :highfive:.

I am also from Ontario, and I think that Rabbit Rescue here in Ontario may be able to point you towards some lower-cost vets.

Here is the Lagomorph Library link: Rabbit Savvy Vets in Ontario

Looking forward to hearing whether you've got a little boy or little girl on your hands!

Hey maskedburito,
i know how you feel about expenses, it can be brutal. I have a young holland lop male rabbit that I am looking at getting neutered (in no way can I afford $300) But check out east village animal hospital in London Ontario. I am from Kitchener as well and this is where I will be sending my bunny.
They provide low cost neutering/spaying for individuals on social assistance, as well as students or those with outstanding dept.
They quoted me a price of $85 to get my rabbit done, but you will have to email them yourself to get a quote.
check them out
http://evah.ca

Wow this thread sure is getting some attention. I'm sure the bunny is better off with you. At least you are trying to find a way to get your bun altered and doing research. That's responsibility. Right now I'm not working and things get tight sometimes but that doesn't mean that you can't care for your new bunny. It's not dire to get your bun altered but since you've worked at an animal shelter you know the importance of spaying and neutering and the positive effects it has on animals. You can try rescue groups and looking for low cost spay and neuter programs in your area. I just found an amazing rescue group that's going to help me get my two buns fixed. So instead of paying $700 for both I'll end up paying $120 for both. Just do A LOT of research for those things in your area and call around. Someone will know something helpful. Just explain your situation. Everybody loves helping college students.
I wish you the best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back