What do do?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bilko

Reaction score
So I have had my bunny for 2 months now and he is a cute little thing who I love.

However I feel that we haven't bonded much during this time even though I am home most of the time and I am the one who feeds him daily. He only really comes to me when its breakfast or dinner time or when ever I have food.

Apart from that he usually just hops away, or gets scared and sprint away when he does not hear me coming (have tried saying his name as I come up the stairs but it hasn't really worked). When I read the posts of how some of your bunnies hop onto your lap and do those affectionate acts, I get quite jealous :p He seems to like to do his own thing most of the time or maybe he just doesn't like me. He sometimes flops when I'm around and licks me so I can't that bad lol.

So I've come to my point of not knowing if my bunny is really that happy, even though he has lots of space as he is a free roam bunny and I let him run around in the back yard a couple of times a week. The ideal option would be to get a 2nd rabbit so he has company of the rabbit kind, but that would not be possible.

Hence I am starting to think whether to re-house him.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

If he licks you, he definitely likes you. Bunnies only groom family and bondmates, so you should be very flattered. Flopping in your presence is also a great sign of trust. He's showing his faith that you, a predator species much bigger than him, would never harm him. That's a big thing for a tiny prey animal!

Bunnies who are truly affectionate in the way you describe are very rare. You have to understand how daunting it would be to a small bunny to be sitting on the body of a large human who can very easily hurt them. But every bunny shows their affection in different ways. One of my bunnies has never and would never jump on me or lick me. But she shows her love in other ways, like letting me pet her for ages, running after me to see what I'm doing, and flopping down near me. My other bunny is more comfortable jumping into my lap because I used to feed him on my lap, so he grew up used to it. He won't lick me and rarely flops down near me, but he follows me around everywhere so I know he loves me. :)

Every bun is different, and I'm sure yours loves you in his own way.

Thanks whisky. Since it can be quite boring just sitting down on the ground while he hops away and does his own thing, I tend to leave my room door open so he can come in and out while I'm in there and would sometimes flop next to my chair. I will sit by him if he lets me pet him, if he does not he hops away and I tend to leave him alone. When I watch tv on the bottom level I check up on him every half hour or so.

I don't necessarily think that he may be unhappy, but I am wondering whether he may feel lonely as I can't fill the void that a bunny play mate would have. Hence the thought of rehousing him with a household with one or multiple rabbis.

Most times I just enjoy watching my bunnies go about their important bunny business, but there are ways you can interact and bond with them as well. I like spending time with them while having a bowl of veggies in my lap and slowly feeding it to them, encouraging them to hop on my lap to reach the veggies or at least eat beside me. I think it helps them associate me with good times, and may be the reason Merlin follows me everywhere lol. You can also train them to react to simple commands with the help of veggie bribery, like coming when their name is called or going into their cage when you ask them to.

I wouldn't assume he is lonely unless he acts visibly depressed and lethargic. :)

It may sound like a broken record, but each rabbit is unique and shows affection in their own way. From what you describe, he sounds like a normal bunny to me. I've had the rare rabbit that is more affectionate, but the current pair I have are not at all that way.

I still think that single buns can be just fine. I had one that apparently needed a bondmate. Without one, she reacted with mischief and bad behavior. Yours does not sound like that is the case.

And again, you've only had him 2 months. My Mocha took a long time to warm up to us. Some rabbits can take several months or longer to truly warm up.

You mentioned checking on him while you are on the bottom level.... is there any way he can have access down there? Our rabbits are out all day in the main family room. I do know that in the later evenings when we watch a movie or something, that is when they are quite active. They hop around in front of us while we watch TV (and watch them!) OR they just chill right in front of the TV. I guess it's a funny bonding thing. I'll set up cardboard boxes and fun stuff on the rug in front of the TV and they just have fun while we are altogether.

Here they are relaxing right in front of the TV cabinet.

100_7891.jpg

I have 4 bunnies, all different. I am lucky enough to have one little boy bun who is very affectionate, happy to be picked up and cuddled, licks me and will sometimes jump onto my lap if I put him down. He's lovely but is not the norm at all.

My other rabbits range from a girl who is ok being picked up and held but would prefer to be off exploring given the chance, another girl who loves strokes but will be off the second you make a motion towards picking her up and my other male who doesn't even really like being stroked and although he will hop around me if I'm sitting as soon as I try to pet him or pick him up he kicks bloody murder. Love him anyway though!

I don't believe any of my rabbits are unhappy, I have just come to accept that they are the way they are. If you rehome your rabbit they will not behave differently for their new owner, I don't believe they are unhappy if you are providing good food, a clean spacious home and lots to do. I think perhaps they are just simply not a cuddle bun.

My bun is my first ever pet and I guess I was hoping of having him being a companion in a way of what a dog would be. Probably wrong hopes to begin with.

Lucky is thankfully very well behaved, he does not act aggressively in any way. PS your buns are adorable blue eyes! I did take him to the living room before, but I stopped for a couple of weeks due to creating a bit of a mess. I started doing it again last night and ensured that the litter box was in a place where the mess was easily cleaned up as Lucky has a tendency to make a mess whilst he is eating hay from the litter box. Whilst watching tv he is exploring as usual, unfortunately not jumping on the couch to sit with me :p But thats alright, he is quite cute to watch.

Lucky seems to be a more of an exploring bun that likes to roam around. 90% of the time does not allow me to pick him up and will run away. In the 10% he lets me pick him up, its usually food related lol.

Thanks, Bilko!

We have fun watching them explore while we watch tv. I'll set up cardboard boxes with doors cut out and maybe drape a towel over a couple boxes to mix things up a bit. They do love to explore!

This has also become their "treat" time. They know that this is when they may get a couple raisins or a little dried (or fresh) banana. They've even adopted "a look" they give to let us know that they are waiting.

Our family room seems to always have the classic cardboard décor!

100_8577.jpg

OMG that bunny in the cardboard house is too cute for words! My kiddoes make the cardboard castles for our rabbits and guinea pigs to explore and they love it!

Again, rabbits are very different! Our old girl, Thumper, loves loves loves having her head and ears stroked, but doesnt really enjoying being picked up and held.

My black mini rex, Black Jack, is the curious sort and loves sniffing around and exploring. If you sit down he will come up to you, and will sometimes jump in my chair. He will tolerate a pat and enjoys making friends with people we meet when we take him places, but he is NOT the cuddly type. If I try to cuddle him, it lasts to seconds before he squirms or nips to get down.

My daughter's pedigreed mini rex, SunDancer is a very demure lil princess of a rabbit and will gladly cuddle you, explore her surroundings and gives bunny kisses right on your nose (or whatever part of you is handy) That being said, she is the princesses all right and bosses the other bunnies and will nip and thump if she is displeased. Nipping is pretty rare though, and for the most part she is very sweet and gentle. She even EATS like a proper lil princess. It's quite amusing.

I never would have thought how interesting and different rabbits are. As far as thinking your guy needs a bondmate, we had our old girl Thumper for 3 years before we got another rabbit. And she was 3 years old when we GOT her. She is still pretty much the same way since we got her. Loves head/ear rubs and will eat just about anything!

My bun HATED me and my boyfriend when we got her in August. Now, she sleeps in between us in the bed while we watch TV. My secret is treats. She loves coming out of the cage to play with me because she knows I'll give her something to nibble on or a toilet paper roll to chew.
You also just have to learn the things they like and don't like, as every bun is different. The way they like to be held, the way they like to be petted, etc.
Good luck! I hope it turns out as well for you as it did for me!

Latest posts

Back