Barry Gets the Snip Tomorrow - Confinement Concerns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Channahs

Reaction score
Naturally my heart is in my throat. Barry and I have such a bunderful bond, my hubs thinks that I'm unnaturally attached...I think he's jealous.

Anyway if you would just send up a positive thought.

I'm sure all will be fine, he's a healthy guy. I guess I'm just feeling a little guilty about this. He's really not so bad, I've only been sprayed twice. And those little sprinkles on my new sofa, well I shouldn't have moved so fast, I think I must have scared them out of him. That circle of poops around his litterbox, he just wants to make sure that the cat knows it's his, not hers. His honks and circles and those hickeys on my forearm are kinda endearing...Should I toss his humpty bear?

But seriously, my biggest concern is that he is a free roam rabbit. He has his own bedroom that I can confine him in. I know he should be confined to a small area after the surgery, but how do you do that to a bun that's never been confined? My one consolation is that I work from home and will be with him 24/7 while he heals. Males do heal much sooner than females right? I do plan to get plenty of pain relief, enough to last at least three days. Probably won't need more than two days worth I'm sure. Does Metacam make buns drowsy?

The part that will kill me the most is that I won't be able to pick him up for several days. He's a snuggle bun that enjoys sitting in my lap while I work at the computer. He loves to be held and snuggled, he will literally cuddle into me. I know that he'll be sore, but I don't want to lose that.

Don't worry! I'm sure Barry will be a model patient. :) I would push for pain relief with spays, but didn't see the need for it when my boys were neutered. They came home pretty groggy from anaesthesia, but started eating heartily again that evening and were pretty much back to normal within 3 days. I kept them confined in their cage, they were too sore to move much anyway for those 3 days, but after that all they wanted to do was come out. After a week in confinement I caved in and let them out, just making sure they had nothing to jump up onto. They survived!

If Barry's room is small enough that he can't really Bunny 500 in that space, I'm sure confining him in there will be good enough. The main thing is to check the suture site daily for tears/infection, keep a watchful eye on his eating and drinking, and clean out the litterbox twice a day (or as needed) to keep everything super hygienic.

I kinda had to neuter because my two naughties wouldn't quit humping each other, but even in your case I think you're doing the right thing for Barry! Lots of people find the honking and circling cute, like their bunny is making some adorable social performance to show his love for them, but from the bunny's perspective it's just deep sexual frustration.

Sending you two good vibes! I'll bet anything Barry will be a happier, healthier and cruisier bun after the neuter. :)

Thank you Laura :) I think I'm just feeling the guilts. I sniffled all the way home after dropping Bun Jovi off for her spay, but she was eating cilantro like a fiend in her carrier on the way home. Our vet is very bun savvy and I have the utmost confidence in him. This is step one for Barry to become a certified therapy bun. He'll be 6 mos. old November 1st. After his neuter (and heal), I can begin the therapy classes and training. I'm really looking forward to this! Locally there are no therapy animals that visit the retirement centers and assisted living homes. There are stroke victims and people with brain injuries that can benefit from Barry's lovely personality. I'll be purchasing a pet stroller in the next month and assessing him by taking him to visit some of my friends in offices and such. Without the neuter, this wouldn't be possible.

I've been digging up visuals so I'll know what to expect. I found this video on post neuter check-ups helpful. Maybe someone else will too.

http://rabbits.wonderhowto.com/how-to/give-after-neuter-check-up-your-rabbit-196894/

*sigh* just dropped him off. Time to go home and busy myself with cleaning his room.

Thank you! Dr. Paladino just called (I love that, a personal call from the vet), and said that Barry did wonderfully. I asked for a good and thorough check from teeth to toenails while he was there and under and doc says he's a very healthy guy and has no problems whatsoever...although this was his first English Lop LOL and he was floored over Barry's massive ears. He's all snipped, even got a pedicure. Yay! I can't wait to find out how much he weighs. I do know that he's a heavy boy.

I hope he still loves me. :bunnynurse:

Last edited:
I know he's not supposed to be up here but he did use his ramp. I'm trying not to take his aloofness personally cause surely the whole ordeal was traumatic.

1413927001459.jpg

LOL you're right bunnyman. He still loves me. He's fine. He's eating and pooping perfectly, and I've had some kisses. :clown
He's eating more hay than anything else. He really wants to come out of his room, but I think he'll stay confined to the carpet for a few more days.

The little pockets left behind...do those shrink?

The little pockets do shrink, it took a good few weeks with my boy though but now they are almost non existent.

To be honest I didn't even notice the pockets on Felix, but when I had him done his parts were REALLY small - I didn't notice them, the breeder checked and saw that he could have the snip when he was vaccinated around 3 months.

Barry's still looking cute as ever, although a bit exhausted maybe. :) Can't wait to hear when he's back to his old self (less all the unsavory behaviour of course!).

I'm sure he'll recover quickly. I'm not surprised the vet was in love with his ears, they're gorgeous! :D

Wowza! Barry is almost back to his old self (including a little of that residual buntosterone). When I picked him up for a check today, it appears that they are indeed shrinking up a bit. That's good because I was really concerned about him getting caught or snagged (especially before).

He's happy to get some limited house roam. I've taken all of the door gates (dog proofing) down so that he won't jump any. He loves to just flop out in whatever room myself or my husband are in. I've already noticed his urine not smelling so strongly, and he's already cut back on the poo marking, but I did get a whiff of his bucky earlier when he was feeling randy. I'm sure that too will subside.

He's doing great, we're happy, and thank you all for humoring my geekiness. :biggrin2:

I got my boy Dexter when he was 3 and had been a breeders (actually several breeders) buck. I got him in spring so I got the full force of his 'boy bunny hormones' and I have to say it was an eye opener as my other boy was neutered at 15 weeks so I never had any of that with him.

Dexter would honk and grunt, run circles around me, give off smells, spray and try to mount everything and anything constantly! I had him neutered a week after I got him and within 2-3 weeks he was completely different, thank god. I don't understand anybody who would have an un-neutered boy bun unless they were breeding! I do remember him screwing his blanket into a ball and trying to hump it the evening after his op though. Lol

Latest posts

Back