Ok I've Searched

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loppy Earred Mom

Reaction score
I have been searching the website for growthweight charts for rabbits I did find things interesting though like adwarf lop mixed with a french lop and they come out so cute.

Anyway I get more and more confused as to what my rabbit maybe and I doknow I gotta post the pic but I would like to see a weight chart onfrench lops because if thats what she is then I want to know if she'sat the weight she should be or not.

She's 12wks old and weights 6lbs approximately give or take a lb*giggles* she was really wiggly of course it was my hubby on the scaleholding her and trying to keep her still and since she doesn't caremuch for him she kept tryin to get out of his arms.

I do know my guinea weighs 3 lbs hehehe she sat still for him she loves him.

*giggles* I do honestly belive Im driving myselfcrazy about her breed type the only reason I am is because since I havethe go ahead from hubby to maybe get her a mate I want the same breedfor her when Im ready that is.

I would just be very careful, and I don't know that any reputable breeder would advise that you breed Stitch.

- She's from a pet store. She may look like a certain breed, but thereis no way of knowing whether she is that breed. She may be across.

- You have no genetic line or health history on her. You don't know ifshe carries faulty traits. Responsible breeders start with good stock.

- Breeding is a lot of work, and unless you are breeding to improve thestandard of the breed (and you don't even know what she is!), then whywould you bring even more bunnies into a country with too many?

Just a couple things to think about...

Right now breeding her is just a thought before Ieven think about breeding her I would most definitly try to get a holdof the breeder to find out for sure which I have been trying to dotoday. Because its driving me nutso tryin to figure out what exactlyshe is.

Because different breeds and different linesmature at different rates, attempting to record weight gain recordsthat would apply to all individual rabbits can be difficult.

In general, a commercial sized rabbit with a mature weightof approx.11 pounds will weighnearly 6 pounds at 12weeks of age.

For a French Lop, she would be maturing right on schedule, however somefiner boned large breeds may never make their mature desired weight.

Pam

Hi,

I would not breed her unless you can get her pedigree and talk to herbreeder. You dont know if there is a problem in the line orwhat is in her history. Also you dont know what kind of stamina shehas. It is very very hard to have a litter that you are attached to andfind out that they are suffering from a illness or a genetic problem.

Also even mix breeds can match up to a breed standard, so beware.

What is her personality like. Believe it or not sometimes breeds tend to have a personality trait.

French lops usauly have kind of flabby skin, and kind of like a skirtaround their sides. They also tend to have almost like a bull dog face.They also should be big boned.

If you want I can help you find some french lop breeders in your area.I would realy suggest that you get a breeding pair instead of one outof a pet store. Usauly pet store rabbits are there for a reason, theydont match up to the breed standard or it is just somebody who istrying to make a buck. Aresponsible breederusaulydoes not sell to the pet store because they care where their stockgoes, and they can make more money (although that really does notmatter) selling their stock on their own.

A breeding pair will have a full pedigree, will be breed for stamina,long life, personality, and to improve the breed and much more. Thebreeder will also be more than happy to talk your head off about thelines, the rabbits you are buying, their parents, what they arebreeding for and everything you need to do with your rabbits.

Oh and pam is right. Rabbits do grow at different rates, and along withthat the feed you feed has a huge affect on it how fast.

I hope that this helps.

I spoke to the breeder tonite she is exactly whatI thought she was. She comes from a prize breeding line thefather and her brother both placed. Father took 1st and brother 2ndthey said had she not had both in the same show brother would havedefinitly taken 1st they said it was tuff.

We had a wonderful long talk she said she would be happy to have mecome visit her place IF big IF I do decide to breed her if Im lookinfor the same breed she said she would be happy to speak to me on thephone anytime I have questions about the breed and she wants lots ofpictures of Stitch and how she grows she's sold several bunnies and hasover 400 pictures of bunnies she has sold not that she has sold 400bunnies but u get the jist.

She just got a lion something breed for her birthday from her husbandshe got three of them and when they get old enough depending on theirpersonalities she may start breeding them as well she was a very sweetlady she said IF i do breed she wants pics of the kits so she can seehow they turn out.

Oh and she does sell them out of the pet store aconsignment thing? I thinks thats how you spell it. Anywayshe said she was just there and the pet store told her I would becalling her.

The pet store told me at first they would rather not give the number ofthe breeder out so I told them well we can do this one of two ways Ican call your store every single day and talk to all of u guys untilshe happens in and speak to her that way or you can be rid of me now bygiving me her number so I can speak to her directly since you guys haveno idea what your talking about when it comes to rabbits. So they gaveme the number.

She sells some from her home and from the pet store she says she checkson them constantly and if they seem to not sell she brings them back toher home. She freely gave me her address to stop by anytimeto see the rabbits and I cant remember what she told me do they gettrophies at shows? *giggles*

She knew I lived in Virginia so naturally I thought hmm well she cantell me anything since she lives in a different state then I do I thentold her I can come anytime soon as I get free time I'll make sure I dothat I can get anywhere since I work for the airlines but she dintflinch a bit she said she's love to meet me and show me around.

Honestly tho Since its such a big breed and I do have a HUGE apartmentits still not that big. I wouldn't think it be fair to thebig guys to have such a limited space because they would honestly needmore room then I can offer right now Until I buy my house which issoon.

Well, LoppyEared Mom, you have accomplished agreat deal...almost like an adopted person finding their birthparents. Very few pet owners, who have purchased their bun(s)from a pet store ever find out as much about your bun's background asyou have. That is commendable, no doubt.

Do think hard and long before you consider breeding for all the reasonsthe other posters, and yourself, have mentioned. It oft-timesis not easy, and can be real expensive if medical carebecomes necessary. Plus, one must find an outlet for yourbunnies, one that is safe and secure, for you might not wantthem to end up as snake food, or for human consumption.

Buck

Latest posts

Back