Where can I find dandelion greens?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyMommy

Reaction score
Can anyone give me a general idea of where I canbuy dandelion greens? I've been looking for some for Shermanfor about a week now.

Neither of my major grocers (Kroger or Publix) sells them.

Thanks in advance.

How unusual! Most upscale food marketswould carry them in the same location one might find kale, arugla, bokchoy, mustard greens, and some of the less common greens.

They are often to be found in abundance upon your andneighboring lawns. They are evidenced by bright yellowblossoms, that turn into fluffy white cotton-like objects, subjectto blowing away in the wind and reseeding somewhereelse. The leaves are green with ragged edges. Ioften gather them from our farmer friend's yard, which he does notchemically fertilize., which is recommended because some fertizers maybe poisonous to our furrylittle friends.

Buck

Okay, "upscale" is the operative wordhere. :) I think I know where I need to lookthen. We have the Harry's Farmer's Market chain here, and I'malmost positive they should sell it.

I was really surprised, though, that Publix didn't sell them.You can usually find difficult to find food items there.

The search continues!

Thanks, Buck. :cool:

Bunnymommy wrote:
Can anyone give me a general idea of where I can buydandelion greens? I've been looking for some for Sherman forabout a week now.

Neither of my major grocers (Kroger or Publix) sells them.

Thanks in advance.
You can come to my yard!!! :dude: Youshould be able to find them around buildings,etc.(Becertain they haven't been recentlysprayed with an herbicide) If you are looking atthe grocers, go for the very dark leafy greens such as spinach andparsley.

Pam N.

could yousee if they couldorder them for you? otherwise, hit the yard. or try somethingelse...batmans favorite happens to be dandelion greens, but ive onlybeen able to get them at one place & they seem to spoil soquick. he likes kale, but i read that overtime toxins can build up fromit, so i try to limit his intake. right now his veggie supply includesswiss chard, radish tops/bottoms and carrots. theres plently of listsonline tellingwhat veggies are okay for buns,heresone of them-it also says which fruits are safe too! :)

2bunmom, yes, I have him on a variety ofgreens. I keep reading though that buns love dandelion greensand I wanted to get him some. :)

Everyone else, thanks so much!

Pam, I almost picked some from the yard, but I wasafraid that there might be some toxin or pesticide on them thatwouldn't come off with just washing. :(

No, but our neighbor applies them to his, and I'm afraid that some of it might have leached into our soil. :(

All of our neighbors just sprayed their lawnstoo:(. I have been concerned that my bunnies might eat some of thegrass or dandelionsnear their yard with the chemicals on it,so they have been staying inside. Does anybody know how long it takesfor the chemicals to wear off? I would like to take my bunnies for arun outside, but I don't want them getting sick.

Lissa

BunnyLover wrote:
All of our neighbors just sprayed their lawns too:(. I havebeen concerned that my bunnies might eat some of the grass ordandelionsnear their yard with the chemicals on it, so theyhave been staying inside. Does anybody know how long it takes for thechemicals to wear off? I would like to take my bunnies for a runoutside, but I don't want them getting sick.

Lissa

It depends on the chemicals used and whether it was just herbicides orif pesticides were also applied. Find out exactly what wasused on the yards and contact the manufacturer for information on whenpets can safely be let out on the grass.

Some manufacturers claim that pets can safely be let out on a herbicidesprayed lawn 24 hours after application -- but I would check directlywith each individual manufacturer to be certain.

Pam N.

Megan loves to get into our gardens, we dont haveany pesticides or herbicides on our lawn, neither do our neighbours, isthere any plants she shouldn't be eating? We have a lot of tulips,shrubs, bark mulch stuff, and a lot of other flowers.... (we dont haveany weeds like dandelions she can eat)

UPDATE: We found dandelion greens forSherman at Harry's Farmer's Market along with other BEAUTIFULorganically grown vegetables that are perfect are him! :)

I didn't know you could buy dandelion greens at a store. :?lol.

LOL... my backyard has absolutly NO grass in itnow thanks to the dogs, but dandelions seem to thrive there. So much sothat I just moved the bunny cages outside for a day, gave them lots offresh water and put a towel over the top for shade and the dandelionsare right there for them to munch on! They are in rabbit heaven... .notonly are they able to eat them but the plants are big enough now thatthe bunnies can lay in them to cool off and "hide". (No, I have notEVER sprayed anything in my yard).

Cheryl

Pigeon&Fumper, glad your bunnies enjoyedit, mine sure do all the time! My dad sacrificed a nice lookingbackyard for my bunnies. The only thing we do is water and cut thegrass on occasion. You have all those dandelions in your yard, and herewe are, trying to grow dandelions in our garden. Yes, my dad actuallyplanted dandelions in out garden for them, but ALL of them died. I'msure people would think were nuts, most spend hours trying to get ridof weeds and such, and here we are, struggling to grown them! Alwayslove to bug my dad that he can't even grow weeds right!

Laura

Latest posts

Back