My bunny confusion.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fumes are bad. Not a good idea.

Bringing her into another room for exercise still presents the problem of her not being able to go in and out of her cage on her own during exercise time.

It isn't that bunny "misbehaves." It is inadequate bunny proofing that causes trouble. Modify the bunny proofing. (My site has ideas) If you move her to another room, there will still be (as yet unforeseen) bunny proofing issues.

Why I call it misbehaving is because like I said half of the time Shea out Shea being a little cutie. Just binkying around and running super fast on circles and such. And then the other half she starts sneaking and digging under things and of I go near her she grunts at me. But the first half of playtime she doesn't do that so it's like "ah-hah! I've been out for enough time now maybe you're not paying attention so I'm going to **** with everything!"
Stops running around and binkyinf, literally sneaking to find what she can wreck lol

And that's why I was hoping to put her into the garage, its the only place in my house that has room for her to have a cage and a fences in pen to roam too. When I make my cage it'll be in the livingroom and I'll open the cage door for her to hop around but it won't be able to just stay open 24/7

Also, with the 1/4 cup of pellets thing do people just give them all right in the morning or half morning half evening or?

So long as she gets a few hours out each day, she should be fine in the living room. I'd be worried about the garage getting too cold, but that's me and my paranoia.

In terms of pellets, you can do either. I tend to do pellets in the morning and greens at night for my kiddos, but I don't give them many pellets anyways. Just enough to make them excited for breakfast time. :p

My other bunnies were so much simpler. I'm not sure if that's because they were both dwarf rabbits or not. I just bought a ton of hay and they were fine, didn't eat pellets too much but its not like they wouldn't eat them at all or dump their bowls they just preferred hay. And leafy greens. Didn't have as energy as my new bunny who feels the needs to chew on everything and flip everything and be so picky lol. But she has a cute personality so I still love her :) thanks for everything everyone. I will keep you posted on the pellet situation. So far she hasn't liked the plain pellets even with the mixture lol but I won't give up. Also on the cage and post what I build, because it'll be an awesome cage!

Got home from work today, and she ate half of the pellets and dumped the other half.. And hasn't eaten any of her hay today which is unusual because that wasn't a problem before. I tried feeding her a piece because sometimes she just likes to be hand fed. Bowed her head down. So I tried again, grunted at me with her head down ��

Still having troubles.. Again come home and she only ate some pellets and a little bit of hay. Definitely not liking my new "diet" for her (eating healthy pellets instead of seeds and stuff lol) as someone on here called it "bunny junk food". Well, I'll keep up with it.. She has been doing a bit better with the pellets than before, but I did buy a brand of plain pellets that I didn't try in the past, and have been mixing a little bit of her old food into it to so *fingers crossed*

Why I call it misbehaving is because like I said half of the time Shea out Shea being a little cutie. Just binkying around and running super fast on circles and such. And then the other half she starts sneaking and digging under things and of I go near her she grunts at me. But the first half of playtime she doesn't do that so it's like "ah-hah! I've been out for enough time now maybe you're not paying attention so I'm going to **** with everything!"
Stops running around and binkyinf, literally sneaking to find what she can wreck lol

Yes. That is what I was referring to. It is all about bunny proofing. She is testing the bunny proofing and that's how you find out where adjustments must be made.

Don't forget that her not being spayed is only making things more difficult. Once spayed, some of that behavior should settle down.

If a rabbit gets into something (or somewhere) they aren't supposed to, the blame is on us, not on the rabbit.

My other bunnies were so much simpler. I'm not sure if that's because they were both dwarf rabbits or not. I just bought a ton of hay and they were fine, didn't eat pellets too much but its not like they wouldn't eat them at all or dump their bowls they just preferred hay. And leafy greens. Didn't have as energy as my new bunny who feels the needs to chew on everything and flip everything and be so picky lol. But she has a cute personality so I still love her :) thanks for everything everyone. I will keep you posted on the pellet situation. So far she hasn't liked the plain pellets even with the mixture lol but I won't give up. Also on the cage and post what I build, because it'll be an awesome cage!

Being dwarf has nothing to do with it. You're simply seeing the huge variance in personality that people always speak of. Each rabbit is totally unique. (plus her hormones are playing a factor on top of the difference in personality).

Well my other 2 bunnies were never spayed either but yes I understand they are all different. I love this little bunny tho such a cute personality. She has been doing a bit better with the pellets, I've been mixing less and less of the old food now its almost completely gone so hopefully it'll work out. I noticed she hasn't been eating as much hay tho so instead of her trough, once the pellets are done I've been putting the hay in her bowl and now she's been munching it up again. I'm confused as to why now when she's been doing better with the pellets, she doesn't like eating her hay out of the trough anymore. How do you all feed your bunnies hay? The trough came with the cage and hooks on the outside of it so she pulls the hay through the metal bars on cage.

Today I took her outside and she was loving it, I tried feeding her some clovers because on a different post on here it said they love them but she wasn't really liking them, loves dandilion leaves tho lol. And then I took her inside and let her run around the livibgroom/kitchen/laundry room open area, I didn't bunnyproof anything and there's tons of cords down there just watched her. She didn't try to go anywhere she wasn't supposed to, kept doing laps then resting on my carpeted stairs (my main floor is hardwood and tiles) but there's area rugs and floor mats everywhere. I think maybe she was getting bored on my room even though its a decent size lol

Mine eat out of racks like you were describing above, but they also LOVE (and I mean LOVE) Oxbow's Timothy Hay Stackers. We just get the ones that are timothy hay and they get so excited when we pull one out. Once we give it to them, they will drag it around the ENTIRE apartment (including on our bed) making a huge mess. They will even try to binky with it in their mouths (my rabbits are both pretty small, so it never works). You could try those to get her excited about hay and give her a new toy all in one?

I have a version of those. My bunny doesn't LOVE them but I stick it through the bars because she licks it it instead of eating it and its easier for her to do so when its in place rather than on the floor moving around. I do buy her these treats that are flavored compressed small pieces of hay that she likes better than the big plain cubes, goes crazy for them. I think for now I'll leave my hay in a trough and as I build my new cage I'll figure out a better way. She used to love eating out of the trough tho lol wonder why it changed.

I used to buy her these corn discs that she loved and "bunny granola bars" but those are all corn and seeds and you guys said they're bad for her so I stopped buying them.

Getting used to a new rabbit takes time, just like the rabbit need to take time adjusting with you. Talk to her, get acquainted with her. She may be frustrated because she could not communicate with you. Similarly, you were not able to communicate with her.

I talk to my rabbits. They may not understand English but they understand the tone. Observe what she wants. Put yourself in her shoes. I know this sounds 'rubbish' to you but it works for me.

My netherland dwarf got bitten by a big dog this evening ... Luckily the bite was not too deep. He knows that I am concern. We are connected and that's how he got over it quickly. Every rabbit is different and cannot be compared with the 2 dwarfs who are not sterilized. Mine are not sterilized too and there is no need to sterilize him if you do not want. Understand the background or history of the rabbit you just own. Speak with the previous owner or shop to find out past habits, needs and wants.

Latest posts

Back