What breed is this?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrr

Reaction score
I got this doe from the auction. She was in a cage with another doe marked as "Flemish Giant". Obviously she isn't a Flemish.. I'd like to hear some thoughts as to what she might be. She's smaller than my full grown New Zealand White buck, and judging by the state of her dewlap I'm guessing that she's at or almost at max size. I would guess that she's just shy of 10lbs. She's a pretty doe, I'd just love to know what to label her as. Someone suggested Palomino?

IMG-20160818-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20160818-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20160818-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20160818-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20160818-WA0009.jpg

I don't see why she can't be flemish giant, or at least part thereof. She still looks quite young and I think 10 pounds is about the right weight for a 6 month old flemmie.

I'm just confused because she looks vastly different in appearance and size from my other two flemish (one which is purebred from a breeder and the other that came from the same cage at the auction that I think is half flemish). 10 lbs would be a generous estimate for her.. I really need to get a scale! She's likely under that and looks small compared to my NZW buck or the other two flemish. Also, my 9 month old flemish doesn't even have a dewlap like that, hers is barely there while this girl's is almost as big as my fully matured does when she settles down. Her coat also looks different than theirs - to me at least. Obviously I'm new at this so this is all just my observations.. she just looks more like a new zealand or something than the flemish I've got!

I've attached pictures of what I'm comparing her to.. The black doe is the purebred and the sandy coloured one is the suspected half flemish that I got from the auction along with the doe in question (keep in mind that the sandy doe is scraggly looking in these pictures because they were taken the day that I brought her home from the auction.. I haven't had time to take better shots)

IMG-20160807-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20160807-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20160807-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20160807-WA0013.jpg

IMG-20160807-WA0012.jpg

Last edited:
I could definitely see Palomino

They aren't as common an Flemish but definitely come from a commercial background so I wouldn't be surprised if someone farmed them and one went to an auction

I'm looking to adopt my first giant breed and I've been looking up a lot of breeds, crosses and mixes in ads selling rabbits.

Colour is definitely one of the Flemish colours but she does also look like she's got New Zealand in her. She also reminds me of some of the tri-breed crosses I've seen, like Flemish/NZ/Palomino or California. Here's a pic of a bunch of crossbreed babies on a local farm that are up for sale, breeds listed are california, new zealand, flemish giant, chinchilla, cinnamons, rex and palomino.

I know I probably haven't helped much, but it's been quite an adventure seeing what kinds and crosses of rabbit people are breeding!

XbreedBabies.JPG

Back