Bonding 2 spayed females

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrieandbelle

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I wanted some help with bonding my two spayed females.
Here is some history on the girls.
Petrie is a 5 year old dutch who has been spayed for a while and is a free range bunny in my room. Belle is a 8 month old rex who came to me as a rescue and was spayed 2 weeks ago. She is free range in my guest room.

I bought two large puppy pens that can be 2 separate or combined. Right now the girls are in 2 separate ones next to each other to get to know each other. However, they seem uninterested. They sniff between bars and then go about their own business. They do not lay next to each other, but on opposite sides. There is no biting or aggressive behavior.

What should I do? Should I continue with separation, or should I remove the separator and let them be together? I am not sure since they are not really fighting, but also not interacting. Thanks!!

Where do you have the pens set up? The 5 year old is likely to defend her territory if you try to introduce them in your room (her space). Same could happen with the other one in her space.

It's best to find some neutral space (where neither rabbit has been before) and use that area to allow them together. This can be done in short sessions over a period of time with each successful session getting longer. OR, you can do "immersion" bonding where they stay together in that neutral space until fully bonded. This approach means they are monitored constantly (and you'd need to sleep near them to keep an eye on them).

You can read about these two approaches to bonding on my website if you like. It explains in more detail.

The pens are in the hallway that both buns have never been in. I'll certainly check out your site, thanks!

Latest posts

Back