urgent help needed with back to back litters

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busymama

Reaction score
Hello! A few weeks ago, we discovered that our two male, outdoor bunnies, had a litter - surprise! As soon as we discovered the litter, we brought all bunnies into our garage, and separated the two adult rabbits into side by side cages. Apparently, we did not do this soon enough and woke to a new litter on March 12th. We estimate that the first litter was born on Feb 8th, and were discovered on the 11th.

I have searched to no avail as how to proceed with caring for both litters. One of the newborns died this morning, and I fear that another one is also about to die.

I suspect that the first litter has been using the nesting material for themselves, and we believe that the 1st newborn to pass away was too cold - we discovered it outside of the nest.

We have since brought the mama and newborns into the house so that they can stay warmer, but the first litter is still too young to be completely separated - as they are about 5 weeks.

Can anybody please direct me? Should we keep the first and second litters together, in the house where we can more closely monitor them? Or should we be separating the first litter during the day? There are 4 kits from the first litter who are doing quite well. 5 remain from the 2nd, with one showing symptoms of dehydration. We have tried to assist with nursing, but it didn't go very well.

Any advice that can be offered will be very much appreciated. We have left a message for our vet, but I suspect they are closed for the weekend, and the emergency clinic is not offering much help other than to euthanize the wee one who isn't doing so well :(

Thank you in advance.

Sorry for the late reply. You need to separate the litters and keep the youngest ones with mom. The older ones can be weaned and kept in a separate cage close by. They should be fine as long as you keep them together. Push plenty of hay to them to help with the weaning, but they should've been eating pellets by now. The newborns need mom's milk and a warm nest.

Latest posts

Back