Hand reared new addition

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sootybunny

Reaction score
Yesterday I purchased a rabbit. He was rejected by his mum and the owner hand reared him. He is 9 weeks old and super tiny but so friendly. He licks my fingers and likes to be sat with me. He is the friendliest rabbit I've ever come across. I haven't named him yet. I think he could be a lion head or lion cross with a Netherlands. What do you think? Any name suggestions?View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1486065987.786213.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1486066009.298178.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1486066026.078356.jpg

Ah, so cute! Definitely some lionhead in him. Even if he is not 'purebred' he could still look like a regular lionhead growing up - once, I got a rabbit from a lop x lionhead mixed accidental litter, half of the babies looked like lionheads while the other half looked like lops (mine had a pretty thick coat, though). It was really funny.
Aki could fit in the palm of my hand when I got her too (she's a Nethie), but with yours size isn't really an indication considering hand-reared bunnies tend to start tiny. He'll probably catch up soon, though ^^. Lionheads are crosses between angora and regular short haired breeds to begin with (it's not actually recognized as a breed in Europe), lots of them have Netherland dwarves in their close ancestors anyway... So yours could be a 'pure' lionhead even if he stays small.

Didn't the original owner know what rabbit she was breeding?

The owner took it in from the lady who lived next door . I managed to check yesterday and mum is a bew nethie and Dad is a lionhead. I wonder if he will grow normally

What a 'poofy' little face !
Haven't had a bun nice enough to lick or "groom" me in a while. Although our black mini rex likes to sniff and scratch at our socks. Go figure.

By 'hand rear' ; do you mean bottle fed ?
Just curious as I've never been able to get a kit to survive that way.
We had one mother pass away on us when her kits were 4 1/2 weeks old :( ... but they were already eating pellets mixed with steel cut oats and are now 8 weeks and progressing fine.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back