Playing chase

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iwantatwinkie

Reaction score
Do any of you have a hard time catching your bunnywhen it's time to go in their cage? It took me 30 minutes to catch himlast night. It's like it's a big game to him. Oh yeah, My castor minirex's name is Ozzie.

I use to have that problem with my bunny, shenever wanted to go back into her cage! Try bribing your bunny witha small piece of a treat, or something you know they like,that's how I get mine back in her stomach gets the better of her :)

~pam

Ozzie is too young for any treat other thanalfalfa and I leave it out where he can get it so that doesn't work.Thanks for the suggestion though.

Approach slowly, from the front. If youapproach from the rear you are apt to elicit a flight response fromyour bunny, unless she is just having you for a fool, and laughing atyou while you knock yourself out trying to get her.

Take a 2' x 3' piece of cardboard and use that to "blockade" her into acorner. Farmers use such a wooden board, called a pig board,at auction pens to separate and/or corner specfic pigs for whateverpurposes. Works admirably as a "rabbit board," too, only wedon't need the heavy wood construction for our buns.

We also use a long handled crab net, when our outside buns becomerecalcitrant, however, of late, I've been taking a lesson from Carolyn,and others on these forums, and have been "talking" to our buns andexplaining what I'm trying to do, and why. I also go slowlyand approach from the front. The thing is, what they'retelling me to do is working, and I haven't needed a net the last fourtimes I've had to catch the outside buns.:shock:

Buck

Buck Jones wrote:
Approach slowly, from the front. If you approachfrom the rear you are apt to elicit a flight response from your bunny,unless she is just having you for a fool, and laughing at you while youknock yourself out trying to get her.

Buck
Oh, how did I miss this thread! :)

My Sherman, as Buck says, has us "for a fool" and is DEFINITELY"laughing at us while we knock ourselves out trying to catch him" whenit's time for him to go in his cage! He sees it as a biggame.

Most of the timewe chase and chase him until he gets tired ofthe chase and goes into the cage on his own. The whole timeI'm saying, "Go in your house, go in your house." I've triedto tempt him in with treats, but he's just too smart forthat.

I think I may start incorporating Buck's cardboard idea into theequation along with the talking and explaining. I'm just tooold to be chasing bunnies around the house! lol! :D

P.S. I can't stop laughing at thethought of the sight of Buck running around trying to catch his bunswith anet!

Sorry, Buck, I really am trying to stop laughing!

Usually Elf just jumpsaround and I guide her back into the cage when it's time. Other timesI'll just wait til she hops in to her litter box and take thatopportunity to close the door. She has the occasional pellet accident,but she has never peed outside of her box.

Minda

Megan's a lil bugger to catch. She's a smart as afox and as quick as a jack rabbit. I find that as she gets older she'seasier to catch.

Peppy, on the other hand, we just leave his leash on him when he's outso when he goes to take off he can't run away, we grab theleash and he can't move, so its easy.

Yeah, well, Bunnymommy,join everyone else in the neighborhood who is laughing at the crazy bunny people! LOL

Be careful, MyBunnyLovesMe, that the trailing leash doesn't get "hungup" on something and bunny doesn't jump, for those two thingsto happen concurrently could mean bunny strangling himself onsomething, and it doesn't have to be necessarily very high, either.

Buck

The most hated words in my house? "Time to gohome" as soon as those words are uttered I am the proud owner of twoinvisible bunnies...nowhere to be seen. They have gone from flopposition on the cool tiles to...POOOOOOOOF gone!

I look like a twit, but I squat down and crab walk after them (one at atime, I would be crazy in the head to try and get em both intogether)with my arms outstretched in case they "make a runfor it". I have their cages in the corner of a room so its pretty easyfor me, the hard part is the guilt I must endure after they are backhome and I get the L:X:XK!

Cher

HB104, I am ROLLING ON THE FLOORLAUGHING!!!

Believe me when I say, I know EXACTLY what you're talking about!!!

Haha....you guys experiences are really amusing!

But I am no much better though at my fresh attempts..:pI had to go onfours, just to get Monty out from the bottom of the table but he alwaysseems to slip from my hands...much tougher than climbing the MtEverest!Haha..........:D

i'm training my bunnie at the moment to come to mewhen called. Make it clear to your rabbit with treats that you needthem to come to you. Most rabbits think you are playing chase or tryingto get them (hunt them). Good Luck.

baldfaced horse.jpg

Dont worry Buck, I make sure there's nothinglittle Peppy can get his leash wrapped around or caught on. He seems toknow anyway that he can't jump away when its on, if he does happen tosomehow get himself caught on something he knows how to back up and gethimself free. :)

amazingly enouhg, Jess doesn't really run awayfrom us anymore. She kind of knows when it's time to go to bed and alot of times she'll just go in her cage when she's ready to be put away

Yes, Yes, Yes, and Yes!!!!!

Why do they always do that!?!?!?

I have two rabbits and they usually fly in different directions. I haveto run one into a corner and then make a leap for her before she dartsaway. Then when she gets put into her cage all I get for thanks is aThump:shock:!! Then its back upstairs to look for the other one that isusually hiding under the table, where she thinks I can't see her.

One of the best hiding places my black rabbit, CupCake, found wasunderneath a shelf. So when I came back to look for her I couldn't seeher!

Lissa

Don't feel bad the neighbors use to come outside to watch us when it was time to "catch the bunnies".

But I have to hand it to my wife.....this is donnalee's husband.

One day she opened up the screen door and just started calling for Raisin to come in....SURPRISE...SHE DID!!!!!.

The wife kept it up, and it got to the point that as soon as the door came open she was there waiting to get in.

The only problem now, is that when I take her outside, she races meback to the door, and if it dosen't close fast enough she's inside. Ofcourse if it does close fast enough she'll just wait on the steps forme to get there and try to sneak in as soon as I open it up.

Now our other rabbit, Thumper, I don't know what to do.

She KNOWS whenever I want to get her in and won't let me get close to her.

Which dosen't make any real sense because I can go out with her 100times during the day and she'll come right up to me to get petted, butif I decide it's time to go in she senses it and keeps her distance.I've tried to take her in at different times....I've tried to gooutside and sit for awhile so she wouldn't know.....I've even waitedtil she approached me, but somehow she just KNOWS.:)

dont feel bad, it took five people to catch ebony the other day. And even then it took us 1/2 an hour.

Wuv 4rm loz nebs n the random bee named figet.

ps the other day fidget scratched me only its a really cute scratch cos its in the shape of an L (for lauren).
See thats how thoughtful my bunny is!

Bunnymommy I just nownoticed youravatar, ROFLMA-there is now NO WAY to dispute the incriminatingevidence against Sherman and his "raisin scandal" TOO cute;)

Cher

Latest posts

Back