birth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beans_mommy

Reaction score
please someone out there tell me how tohandle the birth of babiesdidnt know my netherland was preg(what is a flemish netherland gonnalook like) i dont know the first thing bout babybaby bunnies please help me out looks like they arecoming tonight

donna

Hi Beans_Mommy,

Nature will take care of itself and there's little you need to do ifshe is in labor other than making sure she's comfortable and provideher with some sort of nestbox and plenty of hay so that she can havethe babies in it. Is she pulling fur?

On the day of birth, the doe will gather the hay and pull fur from her belly.

Be sure that she has the babies in the nestbox and not on the wire.Move them into the nestbox if they are on the wire. She won't abandonthem by your touching them, but she will if they're not on the wire,and she could step on them, so you want them warm and out of harms way.

In the morning, you'll want to see that the babies look like theyswallowed a golf ball. Their bellies will be round and warm.

-Carolyn

The nestbox can be anything from an apple box orsomething a bit on the heavier side so that the it can handle the nestand the babies without being destroyed. You can also have one made withwire. If you do go the wire route, you can use cardboard to line itwith.

Don't know how hot or cool it is where you are, but in Texas, at 90degrees, I'd use a wire nestbox so that air can ventilate and theydon't overheat; in fall temperatures, I'd use something with a bit moreprotection.

Mom will usually put her fur on top of them keeping them warm.

P.S. You can tell if she's pregnant if she letsyou near her belly and you feel large marbles. If it's been about 28-34days since she was bred, and she's gathering her hay, she's eitherpregant or dealing with a false pregnancy. Remove the buck if he is inthe cage or around her.

If she does have a litter, give her all the feed she wants as she'll bea nursing mom. Make sure she's got plenty of water, and she may enjoysome lettuce. Pam will do that for her babies. My breeder will givethem cow or goat milk as a treat too, which some love. Besides, if shedoesn't feed them, you can use goat milk or KMR with a dab of cream inthere to help the babies along.

thank u so muchcarolyndidnt know shewas pregs so i just changed the whole cage and put newbedding and a nest box and lots and lots of timothyhay and watching and waitinganxoiouslylolol she bred with a flemishand she is a netherland ought to proveinteresting thanks agian for all ur helpi will be up most of the night waiting.......Donna

Well, you're doing a fine job, Nurse Donna! :dude:

The most important thing at this point that you can do for the babiesis to be sure that they are in the nestbox when they are born so thatshe won't mistake them.

Some does will eat their babies during the first pregnancy for reasonsthat we don't know. Some speculate that it's because they don't realizethey're babies and are confused about their instincts - as they eattheir cecotropes. I've heard all sorts of explanations about it, but itseems that no one knows really why they do that. Sorry to mention it,but since you're in the thick of it, you might as well be aware. Some,not all, do that.

If she does have the litter, she'll feed them once a day - in themorning around dawn, 5:00 a.m. or so. Some does will feed twice a day.

Now - the real question is, how are we going to calm you down?
:shock:

-Carolyn

P.S. Make sure that the nestbox is on theopposite side of the cage that she goes to the bathroom in and awayfrom a waterbottle drip. Many litters are born at night. Best thing youcan do, you've done. Keep her comfortable and let nature take itscourse.

Are you sure about the breed types?

Well. Don't worry about that now. You've got your hands full for the moment.

A rough mix to say the least, ey, Rose!

Will pray for no complications.

-Carolyn

Any babies yet Donna? If she appears to be straining and having problems, I would get her to the vet ASAP.

Pam

Hello, i have 3 adult rabbits, 2 females, and1 male, my one femail sumhow is unable to get pregnant, and my otherfemale is pregnent and due within the next 2-3 days.:D Thisis her 3rd batch. The 1st batch had 3 babies, and she did not eat them,the second batched held 7 babies. I can't wait for her tokindle them. My white dwarf male, and a female black mini rex. They arethe ones that mated. I gave my firnd one of the babies from last batch.Believe me there is always one that you will want to keep. If themother stays with and tends to her babies, there is really not much youhave to do until like the 5th or 6th week. I suggest that you buy arabbit book, and read about the birth and wut you shuld do. It's reallyquite easy. To sell them put a sign on u're front lawn saying rabbitsfor sale. or take them to an anmial auction, or pet shop. I price myrabbits for between $5-10. Hope it all works out, tell us when theycome! Oh the pic that i have is a pictureof em and my friends. We are all holding my baby bunnies.

rabbitgirl wrote:
sooooo, Donna....

aretheyherearetheyherearetheyhereyet??????

:D

Rose

Welcome Aboard, Bunnywuver!

Jump in anywhere.

:)

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back