Fleas?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Callaway

Reaction score
So, as I was scratching my buns head this morning, I felt something that sort of felt like a scratch with coagulated blood. I got down and began examining it and saw all of these little black specks (not moving). Then I saw it. A flea running from my fingers. I pulled two of them out of his fur. I cant see anything anywhere else on his body except on the top of his head where he is a bit fluffy. I cant for the life of me figure out where he wouldve gotten fleas as he is an indoor rabbit and does not have contact with any other animals. We did have him outside on the grass in a pen labor day weekend so I am not sure if that is what did it.

So, what on earth can I do for Callaway to get rid of this buggers before they become a nuisance? He has not been itching like crazy or anything so I dont think they are bad...yet.

You can use Revolution flea and tick medication from your vet. It's made for cats and dogs, but they can give you a dose based on your rabbit's weight.

Revoution and advantage are both safe options. Revolution is prescription only but also covers mites and ticks.
Never use frontline (fipronil) on a rabbit.

I was researching the whole flea thing for myself because I'm moving to an area that has fleas. From what I've read so far, fleas very easily get indoors, either on another pet or the eggs can be already inside and lay dormant for months...the eggs hatch after somehow sensing the carbon dioxide breathed from the animal then they jump onto the animal. Fleas can jump 3 feet high! Since you had him outside he probably got the fleas there. If you have animals prowling around your yard, raccoons, squirrels, rats, cats, foxes, wild rabbits then the fleas will be around just waiting to hitch a ride on your rabbit. You can use a flea comb in the interim to get rid of the ones on your rabbit but the fleas are inside your house now, so that has to be considered.

Vacuum daily like crazy then throw out the vacuum bag. As others mentioned you may have to use a medication to get rid of them.

I was researching the whole flea thing for myself because I'm moving to an area that has fleas. From what I've read so far, fleas very easily get indoors, either on another pet or the eggs can be already inside and lay dormant for months...the eggs hatch after somehow sensing the carbon dioxide breathed from the animal then they jump onto the animal. Fleas can jump 3 feet high! Since you had him outside he probably got the fleas there. If you have animals prowling around your yard, raccoons, squirrels, rats, cats, foxes, wild rabbits then the fleas will be around just waiting to hitch a ride on your rabbit. You can use a flea comb in the interim to get rid of the ones on your rabbit but the fleas are inside your house now, so that has to be considered.

Vacuum daily like crazy then throw out the vacuum bag. As others mentioned you may have to use a medication to get rid of them.
--look into what is called diatomaceous earth--this is perhaps the only product I have found considered (safe)--all pesticides are lethal and cannot be considered or made safe,--we must prey that our loved ones donot touch said area (behind the head/neck)-even after product is dry.--farm ,livestock feed stoes generally carry this powdered stuff,--I use the food grade variety just incase of ingestion..--sincerely james waller :anotherbun:dutch:group2::happybunny::inlove::bunnybutt::bouquet:

I can't use diatomaceous earth because I have a cat. It's not safe allegedly? Read that online but sometimes it's difficult to know what the truth is on some of these websites.

I can't use diatomaceous earth because I have a cat. It's not safe allegedly? Read that online but sometimes it's difficult to know what the truth is on some of these websites.

What?! food-grade DE is fine for cats. My three cats get DE in their food twice a week to protect against any ingested flea eggs hatching out in their intestines, and I dust the cats with DE when I can't keep things controlled with the flea comb alone. I dust them by putting the DE in my hands and rubbing my hands over the cats; I do *not* pour the DE from the container onto the cat.

This DE: its safe for rabbits? I've never heard of it. Callaway experiences seizures and I've heard using medications such as advantage and frontline can induce them. I'd rather not be the culprit for inducing more seizures. Not sure if this is true or not but is rather be safe than sorry. How is it applied and how much? I see I can purchase it off amazon. Is there any place else I can purchase it from?

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

What?! food-grade DE is fine for cats. My three cats get DE in their food twice a week to protect against any ingested flea eggs hatching out in their intestines, and I dust the cats with DE when I can't keep things controlled with the flea comb alone. I dust them by putting the DE in my hands and rubbing my hands over the cats; I do *not* pour the DE from the container onto the cat.

Read that because food grade DE is very dusty, the dust gets into the lungs and can cause irritation. I'm all about natural remedies but when I read blogs about animals dying and getting harmed by accidently breathing it in, it makes me worry. Again, trying to sort through the info online can be dodgy so that's why I posted that I was unsure...DE is silica and it kills fleas by cutting them like razors...sounds a bit scary but I don't know a lot about it. Would love to be able to use something other than medication if my pets ever get fleas.

Please, do not use Frontline(fipronil). It is toxic to rabbits and can be fatal. Revolution and Advantage are the ones considered safe to treat rabbits with, but even though considered safe, there is always the chance there could be an adverse reaction. So it would probably be good to discuss treatment options with your vet since your rabbit has existing health problems.

I've read different accounts of people using DE on their rabbits. I don't think I would feel safe using it on my rabbits as it poses an inhalation hazard, and it seems like that is something that could easily happen when applying DE all through the fur, as rabbits are constantly grooming. I also read a comment by a vet, about seeing it cause disease in livestock animals that have been treated with it.

Advantage and revolution are the only safe topical flea medicine for rabbits. NEVER EVER use Frontline on any rabbit, it is unsafe and will cause death in rabbits.

Latest posts

Back