This is just the worst few weeks...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmmcnair

Reaction score
I don't know what happened. I took anap with the babies this afternoon, got up when my older boys came homefrom school. As I was loading up the truck for footballpractice, I see Ozzy laying on his side, eyes wide open. Mymiddle son sees me stop and looks at Ozzy and says, "look Mommy, Ozzy'ssleeping." I tell him I don't think so...I poked him and hedidn't move. He was gone, gone, gone.

He was perfectly fine when I put the babies down for theirnap. Before I went in to nap too, I went and refilled theirwater. Ozzy was fine. He has been pooping andpeeing and eating and drinking. He's been moving around,sniffing Ella's bottom through the cage, hopping on his house, notusing the litter box. No signs of distress; nothing!

I thoroughly checked him out when I found out Lexi was Lex. Nothing out of the ordinary.

I have no clue what it could have been. I spent an hourdisinfecting his cage and all of his stuff. We even crematedhim, because I have no idea why he died. I cremated all hisdroppings everything.

I am soooo mad! I haven't hit the mourning partyet. I've only had Ozzy 3 weeks!! I am never buyinganother animal from a pet store!!! I was still getting toknow him. He was still getting to know us.

This has just been a bad bad summer with animals. First Susandies, then my dog is incarcerated (locked up in the pen) because she isin heat, and she is mad as all that at me, then Madi gives birthbecause Susan was really a Bob, then the one baby still alive dies,then I find out Lexi is actually Lex and Jenna may be pregnant, but Ican't be 100% sure because of the heat and the fact that I never sawany copulating going on, and now Ozzy goes and dies on me.

I am very worried about Ella. She is acting normal.I gave her a bigger litter box because she kept doing the deed over theside and now is digging in it, but she is making it into thebox. I took her into the living room when I was cleaning outher cage. She sat on the couch the whole time looking likethe queen, and when I put her back into her cage she went straight tothe litter box to potty. I've checked her over thoroughly andcan't find a thing.

I'm sorry this is so long...I'm just frustrated, confused, angry,bewildered, sad. Someone is not happy with me and I don'tknow why!

Thanks for letting me vent

Dawn

I know how you feel!!

Starsky died when we had had her for 3 months, she was 5 months!!

It wasthe spaying operation, we think she was too weak for the anastethic

I am so sorry, but don't give up on another rabbit!!

I felt so sorry seeing Hutch on her own so 2 weeks later i got Huggy.

They have only met through the cage bars but Hutch has been a lot more acive outside the cage than normal!!

heres the pics if you want to see them!!!

http://www.freewebs.com/bunny_mad

Hutch is the white french lop.......but i am not sure about Huggy, He is a coss-bred, a dwarf but i was told lop.

He doesn't have loppy ears, so im thinging he's got a bit of Polish in there

Oh Dawn, I am so very sorry. What a shock to you,especially as Ozzy hasn't shown signs of any illness. I can't reallyoffer any advice. Is it possible something scared him badly, or couldhe have eaten anything poisonous? I'll be thinking of you and yours

Jan

It's very hard to guess what could have happenedand it is a shock when there are no warning signs. There aresome genes that affect organs and the lifespan of a rabbits.It's possible Ozzy had a heart attack or stroke.

Keeping you in my thoughts . . .

Pam

Dawn,

I am sorry aboutOzzy. Its so sad that he passed on so quickly with no signsof problems.

Cristy

I can't believe it, Dawn.

You poor thing, and your kids too.

I can't figure out what's going on myself in the world today. It seemsthat so many people are just up and dying out of the clear blue sky.BunnyMommy's husband; Abigayle, the little 2 year old that drownedchasing after her bunny; Laura's two best friends being killed by adrunk driver; a friend of mine's friend was murdered 2 days ago, andour beloved family members with the long ears: Ozzy, Susan, babies,FooFoo, and all the others. I wish it would all stop. They say thingscome in threes, well we're way beyond 3 here.

There's little I can say to console you at this time, only that I amthinking of you and praying for you and yours. Wish the planets wouldget back in line and all of this tragedy would stop.

I agree about getting pets from pet stores. I learned that hard lessonmyself. You were smart not to take any chances with Ozzy's body andscouring his cage.

I'm so sorry that you've been handed another shocking situation. Itscares me for my own when I read these posts. Extra treats and lovewill go out to Tucker and Fauna in honor of Ozzy.

-Carolyn

Thanks so much. Ya'll make me feelbetter. I have been checking on Ella all morning, just tomake sure. I got Ella at the same petstore (Petco) and I'vehad her longest. Ella is my first bunny and (I know, notquite fair) I love her most. It was the kiss she gave me inthe pet shop. :D

I am just hoping it is as Pam said and it was genetics, and notsomething dangerous to Ella or our piggi Madi. But just to besure he had a blazing funeral pyre! I think I might havefuneral pyres for all of our pets...that way the wild animals can't getto them.

I think my mother (God rest her soul) is mad at me for having animalsin the house. Especially as she always thought of them asdirty, and not clean enough to have around her grandchildren.My mother had a long arm in life and it continues in rest.Mymother was Korean, and if anyone on here has an orientalmother, they know what I am talking about!!! I love her and miss her. :(

I have way surpassed the everything comes in three's. Itactually started with my mother dying last year from livercancer. She passes away while I was 8 months pregnant withAubrey. I hate it that she never saw her or got to holdher. November 10 will be the anniversary of her death, only 2days after my oldest's 9th birthday.

Arrrgggghhhhh....I'm getting maudlin. Thank you again for thekind words and empathy. I have to get out of the house topick up my son's Ritalin and my other son's package from the postoffice. Honestly, I don't want to leave the house.I'm worried that when I'm gone Ella will be too. Maybe I justneed to get a prescription for myself....a little Prozacmaybe? or maybe a Valium? :shock:Naw,it's the weekend and Justin's first scrimmage is tomorrow.Boy does he look cute in his football gear. I will have topost a pic tomorrow. I am taking lots of pics!!!

Dawn

Here is a pic of my mommy. This was taked quite a few yearsago, but she never aged!!! I swear my mom was 35 for at least15 years!!! Isn't she beautiful. I wish I had more of hergenes. I look more like my biker dad.:p

This here is my biker daddy with Aubrey justminutes after she was born. He was there through the wholething.But when it came time, much to his dissapointment hewas relegated behind the curtain, and my sister, much to herdissappointment, was made to hold my other leg!:p

Dawn, your mother is stunning! What abeautiful woman. I always said my mother died young (50),just to get out of growing old. September 8 was theanniversary of her death :(

Miss my mommy also . . .

Pam

It doesn't seem fair when these things happen!!!

For years there wasn't 1 death in our family!! Then the next year i ended up attending 3 of 5 family members funerals.

Pam, thank you. My mother was 60 whenshe passed and looked the same as the picture. I think thatpicture was taken when I was still in high school and that was 13 yearsago. :shock:A month before she died, she made me dye herhair, because she couldn't do it herself. She didn't wantanyone to see her gray hairs!!! The only gray hairs I've ever seen onher head were the roots!

I am sorry to hear about your mom. I know exactly how youfeel. I guess I'm finally at that age where I am going to lose lovedones. My dad has COPD and is an alcoholic, my stepdad hasheart problems and is 78 years old, my husband's grandfather who is 87is battling skin cancer....I think maybe I am being prepared for someheartache this year or next....

It's funny, but when I was living at home, we never gotalong. We only got along after I moved away, I mean I had tobe in a totally different city or state or country for us to getalong. My mother would never admit it, but I am so much likeher it is scary. I feel it hard that we could only talk(instead of fighting) the last 10 years or so of her life. Weeven had a terrible fight about the time she was diagnosed (which theydidn't tell me about until there was nothing for the docs to do!!!), wedidn't talk for 3 weeks, and she didn't even show up to my wedding!!!We really had some knock down drag out fights and if I had known thenwhat would happen, I would have been less head strong withher.:(Heck, I would almost give anything just to have anotherfight with her.

Okaaayyyy.....today I am really depressed....apparently. Okay I'm stopping.

Dawn

Latest posts

Back