Rabbits Online > FORUM BUSINESS > Introductions > Is it okay that my rabbits are fighting?

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:51 PM   #1
Stinkerbunnies

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Is it okay that my rabbits are fighting?

I have two males, Big Wig and Blackie chan. We know that they have a dominance issue, but their is rabbit fur flying whenever we put them next to each other. Big wig is a smaller rabbit, but he's terrifying. Blackie chan is slightly bigger, but he's more controlled and sweet. I'm afraid one of them will take the others eyes out. Blackie chan actually got a bite mark right next to his eyes. Any ideas on what to get them to like each other? Thanks

Old 01-12-2018, 05:56 PM   #2
JBun
Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod
RABBIT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1181 Times on 1020 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Are they both neutered?

Old 01-12-2018, 07:12 PM   #3
Aki
Liked 214 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I wouldn't put together two rabbits who fight that badly. You are right to fear that they might seriously hurt each other. If they are not neutered, stop this and get them neutered first (plus the time for their hormones to calm down) before attempting to bond again because with two intact males who have been fighting the way yours are, it will never work. But there is no garantee it will ever go well. I don't know why you got two males, it may have been circumstancial, but it's not an easy pairing to attempt. Even people who have a lot of experience with bonding rabbits don't have a very high rate of success with that. I personally wouldn't even attempt it - I like my bondings to be easy and bloodless so desexed male / female it is.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:28 PM   #4
Nancy McClelland
Larry
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 790 Times on 660 Posts
Likes Given: 1285

Sounds like separation is your best bet before injuries and huge vet bills.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:59 PM   #5
Stinkerbunnies

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

They are both neutered. I've heard putting peanut butter on their heads will have them clean it off each other, then me friends. Also if you spray them with a water bottle, they'll go and clean each other off and sulk. Does this work?

Old 01-13-2018, 07:21 PM   #6
Stinkerbunnies

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Can I use a box for bedding?

Okay, I haven't figured out to post more threads, so I'm using this. We have this soft, Cotten and plant material from this company called hello fresh. My mom wants to know if we can use this for bedding. Can we? We're running out of litter, and we need a substatute. Thank you so much. Also, can you tell me how to make new posts?

Old 01-13-2018, 07:26 PM   #7
Blue eyes

Liked 723 Times on 541 Posts
Likes Given: 914

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkerbunnies View Post
They are both neutered. I've heard putting peanut butter on their heads will have them clean it off each other, then me friends. Also if you spray them with a water bottle, they'll go and clean each other off and sulk. Does this work?
Those aren't good options for your situation. That tactic is sometimes used with two new rabbits that have been ignoring each other in hopes they will acknowledge each other.

In your case, you have already-fighting rabbits. This is not good. And it is not promising either. They need time apart to forget that they do not like each other. If they are apart for awhile, then just perhaps, they may decide to give it another chance in the future. They may. They may not.

Please be careful. Rabbit fights can escalate quickly and serious - serious - injury can occur. Some will even fight to the death. So please be cautious.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:32 PM   #8
Stinkerbunnies

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue eyes View Post
Those aren't good options for your situation. That tactic is sometimes used with two new rabbits that have been ignoring each other in hopes they will acknowledge each other.

In your case, you have already-fighting rabbits. This is not good. And it is not promising either. They need time apart to forget that they do not like each other. If they are apart for awhile, then just perhaps, they may decide to give it another chance in the future. They may. They may not.

Please be careful. Rabbit fights can escalate quickly and serious - serious - injury can occur. Some will even fight to the death. So please be cautious.
Thank you so much. They aren't new rabbits, but we've had them for nearly a year. But before that, they where raised together. They used to be friends, but now it's dominance. Do you have any advice to get them to like each other?

Old 01-13-2018, 07:51 PM   #9
Blue eyes

when were they neutered?

Old 01-13-2018, 08:01 PM   #10
Blue eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkerbunnies View Post
Okay, I haven't figured out to post more threads, so I'm using this. We have this soft, Cotten and plant material from this company called hello fresh. My mom wants to know if we can use this for bedding. Can we? We're running out of litter, and we need a substatute. Thank you so much. Also, can you tell me how to make new posts?
To make a new post, click on "forum" at the top of the page. Then you will see a list of topics. Since your question is about bedding, click on the topic titled "Housing & Environment."
From there, in the upper left, will be a blue button that says "New Thread." That is how you create a new thread for a specific topic.

As for bedding, it sounds like you are describing something similar to Carefresh. That is a fine option. However, a rabbit cage really doesn't need to have the entire cage floor covered in bedding. That is only used for bunnies that are not potty trained. A litter box is all that is needed -- topped with hay. Less bedding is wasted that way.