Cats and rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurtleShark

Reaction score
My bunny, Cookie, is currently inside the house. I've sectioned off half of the house for her for the day to keep my Labrador away. The dog's looked at her the wrong way one too many times. I'm not willing to risk it.

But, what about the cats? I can't keep them out with a simple gate. They can jump over it.

Even when I had Cookie in the house, I'd let the cats in her room with her (she had our extra bedroom to herself). My youngest cat has always chased her around. He's good with his claws so I'm not too concerned.

However, I need to know when I should step in and stop him. Will the rabbit start stomping every time the cat chases her?

She'll only be inside for an hour or two. I thought she looked lonely outside (and she probably was) especially because she's been allowing me to touch her and she hardly ever lets me do that.

So, how much stalking, pouncing, and swatting should I allow from the cats?

Cookie is currently stretched out of the floor breathing hard (not surprised, she's done a lot of running) and the cat's behind her batting at her feet every few seconds.

This is concerning. Rabbits are prey animals. If you keep a rabbit as a cherished pet I'm not sure why you would let a predator animal of any kind "stalk, pounce or swat" at it. Imagine the stress. Rabbits don't play that way. Just my opinion.

I kind of agree. especially if the cat has access to the bunny while you aren't there. My cat knows that she can smell the rabbits but at no point will she do any more than that or she knows what will come.

I would not allow any pouncing or swatting. If the rabbit at all seems uncomfortable it should not be in that situation. I know how hard cats can be to keep out of things but maybe double stack gates or get a very tall x pen?

I had a cat and her and my rabbit would sit and hang out together but your situation sounds dangerous. You need to have a secure enclosure for the rabbit, something with a roof, so that there is no way either cat or dog can get to it. If your cat is chasing and swatting your rabbit, it's best to keep them away from each other. They can both harm one another and obviously your dog should be off limits to the rabbit. Your rabbit needs time outside the pen for a few hours each day so you would have to carefully monitor to make sure no one gets hurt.

I think it all depends on the cat. And both animals are smarter than you would think. My cat wanted to murder my rabbits when I got them. Although he never pounced on them (that I would be worried about) he did swat them a few times. I made sure I kept his nails short and he never fully had them out, and I spent ALOT of time making sure he knew he couldn't act like that. Eventually they became best buds and they play and snuggle all of the time now. They do chase eachother now to play, not a chase chase but a playful hopping around. My cat is very gentle with them now. So there is always hope! View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1430097927.686180.jpg

My cat and my bunny are BFF's. LOL Although I do supervise when they are together, and like swarning, I make sure the cats claws are clipped blunt.

20150422_231600_zpsqzfxuvq2.jpg

20150415_230721_zpspeihyqkb.jpg

I agree with the statement, that it depends on the cat. My cat is not aggressive and also very low key with the typical "cat" behaviors like stalking and pouncing. But I think you will know in a short time, if the cat is trustworthy of the rabbits presence.

One scratch or bite from a cat could easily be the end of your rabbit. Their mouths are notoriously nasty (humans need to take cat bites very seriously). I wouldn't tolerate any predatory behavior from a cat around my rabbits. I have a roommate with two cats and use a baby gate to keep them out of my room (and a closed door when I'm not at home). At first the rabbits thumped and the cats ran away but the rabbits seem to have learned that I'm not going to let the cats eat them and will hang out next to the gate. Since my roommate is convinced she can't lock her cats up and they get continuous free roam of the house, they'll come up to the gate and crouch down and stalk the rabbits or reach a paw through and swat at them. For now a squirt bottle seems to be doing the trick at scaring the cats away. I considered using one of the ssscat canisters we use on the kitchen counters, but was afraid that would startle the rabbits too much.
Also keep in mind that they prey animal nature of rabbits means that they can be literally scared to death.

My vet said me that the rabbits mustn't allowed to be with dogs or cats. I don't know if this is true but I reserve the right...

Latest posts

Back